We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OC in October

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
984 posts
4 reviews
OC in October

We're thinking about spending several days/nights in Ocean City in early October. It been years since we last vacationed in OC. Our kids were young. Now it's just us in our late 60s. Looking for a relaxing few days. Maybe sit on the beach. Would we need beach tags in October? Walk on the boardwalk. Hit some shops. Have a couple of nice meals. Maybe stay at a B&B.

I'm hoping this is all still available come October. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
8,224 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: OC in October

Beach Tag sales end on Labor Day, so you won't have to worry about that. However, you may not have to worry about the beach whatsoever...it's generally going to be cool in October (unless you get lucky), and the water temps have started to cool as well, which will make the beach feel even cooler. The boardwalk will be open, although many retailers will have started to close for the season, and those that are open may opt to be open only Friday - Sunday.

The earlier you go in October the better.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
984 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: OC in October

Thanks for the response. We are planning to visit from Oct 1 so you can't get any earlier than that and still be in October. As far as the beach is concerned, we are not looking for summer beach experience. We'd just like to take a couple of beach chairs and sit out for a couple of hours. It can be in a sweatshirt if necessary. Just looking to chill.

Otherwise I would hope there will be some good restaurants for dinners as well as some signs of life on the boardwalk. I assume things will have quieted quite a bit by that time.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: OC in October

Oh drat, I was hoping the visit just might've been a little later. I didn't see it announched yet: OCNJ usually has an Indian Summer fest the weekend of Columbus Day [it's 10/9 this year] with something going on at the Music Pier. I'll be back later

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
4. Re: OC in October

I suspect y'all will get a chance to sit on the beach. Perhaps not in bikinis, but October usually has some cussingly fabulous weather at the Jersey Shore and Autumn is one of my fave times to go gallivanting around the South Jersey Shore. The ocean will still be holding some Summer warmth making for milder days&nights. I do not expect any umbrella & chair rentals so bring your own ~ or maybe, just maybe catch an end~of~season sale at Hoys Five&Dime and get a great price.

How about staying not in OCNJ, but being able to see OCNJ? http://www.pier4hotel.com/ Pier 4 overlooks the bay and it is TOTALLY worth it to pay the extra for the bayview ~ especially in the morning as the Sun is rising. They own The Crab Trap https://www.thecrabtrap.com/ [actually the otherway around] which is right in the parking lot and fabulously yummy! I love their Honey Glaze Salmon but y'all will probably ignore this and order the Tornadoes of Stuft Flounder.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
984 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: OC in October

Thanks for the tips. I did book a B&B in Ocean City just a half block from the boardwalk.

Just by way of explanation, since the 90s we have vacationed in Bar Harbor, Maine. We love it there and were there for 9 days in June. This year we also booked a week in October but as we got to thinking, we decided we wanted to do something different this time (we have another 9 days visit to BH booked for next June). We haven't really spent any time in OC since the kids were young... some 30 years ago give or take.

Our more recent Jersey shore visits have been in the form of day trips to places between Asbury Park and Seaside Heights. And those have usually occurred between late October and late April or as Jimmy Buffett says... "when the coast is clear".

Anyway, we're really looking forward to nice peaceful stay in OC come October. Hope the weather cooperates and there is enough open to occupy our time. That was the real gist of my questions.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,876 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: OC in October

Next year why not indeed try something new? Come to Cape Cod where there's so much to do and 'the coast is clear' (and the weather is still great) in Sept. post Labor Day.

Ocean City, New...
Level Contributor
868 posts
7. Re: OC in October

Ha ha

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,876 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: OC in October

Ha Ha...... in case you don't know what I mean here's a link to it. Also must say that I grew up every summer from 6 months old through college in OCNJ but, nostalgia aside, dear ol' OC had to give way to fabulous CC filled with artists including the talented chefs.

beachntown.com/cape_cod_virtual_tours.html Don't open to full screen if you want to know the names of the places you'll see here.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
984 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: OC in October

... except I started this thread to ask about Ocean City, NJ in October.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,876 posts
34 reviews
10. Re: OC in October

Just taking off on post #5 "wanted to do something different...."

Just a thought due to mentions of brilliant scenery and creative meals. Over and out....

Get answers to your questions about Ocean City
Recent Conversations