We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Rentals 2008

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Summer Rentals 2008

As I write this it is bitterly cold in the North East. We were in OC yesterday and it was bitterly cold there too.

Wondered in the dark cold days of January, how many folks are in a summer mood and making reservations for the summer of 2008? We have 9 weeks rented already. While traditionally the rental market seemed to pick up after Super Bowl Sunday, last winter everything seemed to go very early. To me it looks like people are deciding earlier rather than later to lock in their summer accommodations and wondered where everyone was with the Summer of 2008?

North Wildwood
Level Contributor
384 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Rentals 2008

Hey Frank,

I'm in North Wildwood, so far 10 prime weeks booked. This time last year I had 6 weeks booked for summer '07. Not as many tire kickers so far this year I agree with you, people are making their summer plans sooner. Great for us!

Ocean City, NJ
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
537 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Rentals 2008

We have 12 weeks rented, but most are repeaters so I don't think that counts as a barometer of the rental market.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Rentals 2008

Well, I was thinking of posting this question myself as we are renting out for the first time this summer. (We rented a few weeks last year, but no advertising, only word of mouth, friends of friends etc). We have had a lot of inquiries in only a few weeks online. I know until I build my base of repeat renters, I will be behind you experienced owners, but I am looking hopeful, and encourage anyone on the fence to start looking sooner rather than later.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Rentals 2008

Last year seemed to be the first for this early rental trend. Before that, the season seemed to start after Superbowl Sunday. I know we had some folks call us late (April?) looking for two weeks and all we had left at that point was one week in late June. That was the 3d year they'd stayed with us and I think they were taken by surprise at how early we were rented. This year they are coming for two weeks and made arrangements before they left last summer.

Right now I don't expect to get a lot of action because we only have a couple of weeks here and there open. All but one week of 2008 is taken by returning guests which is great. They were all good renters last year which makes us feel very secure.

We've learned over the 4 years we've had the house not to worry about renting...we have a good property in a great location and the renters will come. Already back in December I had someone try and get a summer 2008 week for a considerable discount. I told them it was way too early to deal on weeks that will probably rent @ full price!

Norwalk,Ct.
Level Contributor
67 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer Rentals 2008

Yankeemom--I've seen you post on this site many times but I didn't realize that you owned down there! Is the house in Ocean City? We own in Brigantine but do not rent it out. We go down to Jersey about once a month in the winter and 5 weeks in the summer. My extended family uses it the rest of the time. I see your from CT, do you live in Fairfield County? I am from Norwalk. You don't hear about too many people from our area owning in South Jersey, so I was excited to see that I was not the only one who bought down there.

Hope your enjoying it!

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer Rentals 2008

kidsandcats-we actually own on Long Beach Island. I am in Fairfield Couny-lets just say right next door to Norwalk! I am finding more and more people here going to the Jersey shore. I frequently see LBI stickers on cars and sweatshirts. When I have had guests to our LBI home that haven't been there before, they cannot believe how nice and family oriented our community is. Looking forward to summer! (or actually even our next trip down, as I love the off season as well.)

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer Rentals 2008

PS- we have a property for our own use (and use it a lot) as well as a rental property.

Norwalk,Ct.
Level Contributor
67 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Summer Rentals 2008

Yankeemom--We go to LBI at least once every summer, friends of ours rent there and we come to shop and go to the waterpark with them. I've been visiting there since the mid-70's and it has definitely changed over the years. It is a fun, family friendly place that is not too far from CT. We, of course, have to go a little farther and sometimes that turns off people from this area. I have been vacationing in Brigantine since I was a small child so it holds a special place in my heart.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Summer Rentals 2008

How come there is no LBI forum???

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Summer Rentals 2008

I usually follow the Beach Haven forum. There is one listed as "long beach", and it had a whole thread about "shouldn't this be called the LBI forum". It gets resurrected periodically.