We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A place to stay on a budget

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
A place to stay on a budget

Hello All,

I am looking to stay for two nights in Ocean City in mid August. Not exactly the easiest/cheapest thing to try and do. I have been to OC before and LOVE it. We went last year and stayed at the Sifting Sands and enjoyed it, but this year are looking to add an extra night to what was a 2 day/1 night thing. My gf and I are both college students who don't have much to spend. The best deal I have found so far is 150 a night at the Tahiti Inn. Should I even bother looking at more motels? I was also looking into some guest houses, Osbournes' seemed like the best to me. But I am a little weirded out by full on staying in someone elses house and would likely be coming in late at night and don't want to disturb anyone. So is Tahiti the best deal? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A place to stay on a budget

I have since done some more research and found that some Ocean City hotels are reasonably priced. The Zenneth Manor, Bluewater Inn, and Bryn Mawr Hotels were good prices but looked like dumps and the last two got ALL bad reviews. I can deal with a couple, but when every single one is bad, I am staying away. Another that caught my eye was the Homestead Hotel. They say its newly renovated. Has anyone been recently? Its very reasonable and I am curious to the shape of the rooms.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A place to stay on a budget

The Homestead is on 8th and Atlantic, a block from the beach. Location is good but the place is old. Have no idea how nice the rooms are now but they were selling it a couple of years ago as a cond-tell (you buy a room and they rent it for you) so I imagine they did some work on it. How does it compare price wise with the motels you talked about?

Allentown...
Level Contributor
97 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A place to stay on a budget

I stayed at the Impalla Island Inn last week and while I do not recall what we paid it was one of the lowest rates I found at the time I reserved a room there. We were very happy with the place, the staff, and the location. The only tight issue was finding a place to park but that is true for every place in a beach town during summer vacation season.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A place to stay on a budget

We haven't stayed there in a number of years but always found the Impala good too when the kids were small. Do they still have that overflow parking lot across the street??

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A place to stay on a budget

I've did alot of online research last night and here is the roundabout prices I found.

Tahiti Inn- 148/n- Promotion for 135/n

Osbournes' Fairview Inn- 115/n

Zenneth Manor Hotel- 99-119/n

Bluewater Inn/Bryn Mawr Hotel- 109/n 119/n for weekends

Homestead Hotel- 109/n for the cheapest room

Ocean City, NJ
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A place to stay on a budget

If you can get a room at Osbourne's Inn I would stay there. Or the Ebbie (cheap and clean) or Scarborough Inn.

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
334 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A place to stay on a budget

Dirk,

The Ebbie on 6th St. was mentioned to you. It's not a luxurious hotel, but nice and clean/ It's an old, well preserved b&b with nice rooms. It's at the north end where traffic isn't assss terrible and the street is pretty.Not far from the beach.

The rooms this time of year are $90. We checked it out not too long ago when I wasn't sure that I could make the trip home. It's sweet, as a woman, I thought it seemed very pleasant,for a young couple a bit romantic.

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
334 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A place to stay on a budget

Here's the link

http://www.ebbie.com/

It's probably a place not as well advertised as some, but known to people in town.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A place to stay on a budget

thanks for all the advice, does the Ebbie have private baths?

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
334 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A place to stay on a budget

Okay-here's the skinny on the Ebbie.

The lady doesn't like emails, so call and she'll talk to you or call back 609-399-4744.

Yes, they have private baths, and you can still use the outside shower after checkout if you want more time at the beach.

The site is from 2004, but it's still the best deal and location I've found. I called for us, too.

During the week it's 125 a night, weekends 135 ,holidays 150.

They also have equipped studio apartments, and I doubt you'd know about Murphy beds, but we had one at our place. They fold out of the wall. The rooms are like pictured. If you don't call soon, you'll be sleeping in a dump. Nothing's that cheap in O.C., but I love that part of town and you're really close to everything.

I tried to do a good budget for you. Also, you're probably the right age to love Mack & Manco and several other good, relatively inexpensive places to

eat. I always tell people to buy soda at the dollar store on the boards, around 10th or 11th. Water, whatever, it's the best buy you'll get. Not what you asked, but I'm chatty so I thought I'd add a bit.

You're also at a very nice part of the beach. You're young, as long as it's clean and cozy, she'll be happy.

My husband and I went down for a night one year, and didn't have any fun at all. We were trying to avoid cockroaches.We were young and broke. That won't happen here. Have a great time.:) Bookhttp://www.ebbie.com/