We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family vacatioin

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brackenridge
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
family vacatioin

My kids want to be in the 'thick of things' near the boardwalk - I like a nice, quiet, private beach - any suggestions on a compromise?

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family vacatioin

If you are talking about Ocean City and renting a house, I think you'll find the north end a nice compromise. We have a place on Pennlyn Place and our street runs just 3 blocks. The area is quiet because it's only visited by people with a purpose there. The boardwalk is there but it is not the commercial area (which starts @ 6th street and is about a 5-10 min walk south). The kids can walk, you can sit on the porch...a great compromise for all! Check out the many streets in the north end.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
281 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family vacatioin

Why not go even further north? The Gardens area is just north of the start of the boardwalk, which means a bit of a walk to the amusement area, but the beaches are much more natural and quiet - the path from street to beach goes through sand dunes, there are catamarans hauled up on the sand at night, etc. If you want a private beach feel, this is the place. Your kids can still easily walk down to Gillians and the stores at night.

Ocean City, NJ
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
531 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family vacatioin

I started renting near the boardwalk when my kids wanted the same thing when they were teenagers. So that they could come and go as they pleased, we rented between 6th and 14th Streets as close to the boardwalk as possible. Between 6th & 9th, Atlantic Ave is the closest street parallel to the boardwalk. From 9th to 14th, Ocean Ave is the closest street. We always avoided right around 9th St due to the traffic and boardwalk congestion in that area. We're on the beachblock of 6th now and still love the location for the same reasons. We also rented on the 1100 block of Ocean Ave for many years and liked that area as well, but that is a little more congested in that area.

I wouldn't want my kids walking much farther than they had to, so I think from 6th St north to 4th St would be a good compromise. Although the boardwalk businesses start at 6th, it is surprisingly quiet and not congested in that area.

Bucks County
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family vacatioin

I have stayed on both Pennlyn and 6th and while they are both nice, I found the beach at 15th street, where we stayed last week, to be the best. It is wide and peaceful but the boardwalk is there too. The shops end at 14th so 15th is just one block past. We rented btwn 15th-16th on Asbury and found the location perfect.

Brackenridge
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: family vacatioin

Thank you to all for your suggestions - you all had basically the same advice, so it sounds like I have my answer.

I'll start looking - thanks so much!!!!

6. Re: family vacatioin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 22:19