We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to visit Ocean City?

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Youngstown, OH
1 post
Save Topic
When to visit Ocean City?

Hey!! I was watching the Travel Channel not to long ago, and ocean city was featured in some count down. I would love to get my sisters to go with me, but, from the looks of things its terribly crowded. Is there and optimal time to go when there are not a lot of other tourists there blocking up the sun.

Lumberton NJ
Level Contributor
654 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to visit Ocean City?

Go down in early Sept. The weather is great and the crowds are zero. The houses are real cheap to rent at this time.

Richboro, PA
Level Contributor
214 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to visit Ocean City?

I agree September is an absolutely beautiful time in Ocean City. Most things are still open and the crowds are gone. The weather can be outstanding.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to visit Ocean City?

Because I have school-age kids, I don't have the option of going in Sept. We go down on a Monday morning, and usually come home on Thursday afternoon. I love Ocean City, NJ! We've never found it too crowded during the week, even in July or Aug. (By the way, mid-late Sept. may be too cool for the beach in NJ.)

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to visit Ocean City?

Agree with all posts...Sept & even early October are the BEST! Rates go down, kids back at school, quiet & relaxing! For swimming, every autumn is a little different weather-wise, but the water is generally warmer in Sept. than in June & early July. I even recall swimming in November some years! Be advised that the lifeguards go home with the tourists after Labor Day.

Bryn Mawr, PA
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to visit Ocean City?

September & October are the best kept secrets in OC!!! You will have a fabulous time in Ocean City in the Fall! Previous posts are right: rates go down and many of the Hotels and romantic Bed & Breakfast Inns offer various discounts and packages that are worth while. If you go on www.oceancityvacation.com, click on accomodations and you will get a list of Hotels and also a list of Bed and Breakfast Inns to search through.

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: When to visit Ocean City?

I was wondering too if the end of June beginning of July is too really crowded or busy? I don't now what time of year school is out there. Our kids end about the 20th of June....

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to visit Ocean City?

Last two weeks of june are also less crowded at the Jersey shore. The water is still pretty cold, although it doesn't seem to deter younger kids or die hards. The first week of July is a holiday week and is generally getting busier from that point until Labor Day.

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: When to visit Ocean City?

Thank you, that's what I needed to hear~~ I was hoping to bug out before the big summer rush......we are from the north and my kids would swim in ice water~

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to visit Ocean City?

You can also get inexpensive wet suits. I've even seen them at Costco. They also help protect the skin from the sun. Be sure to use lots of sun screen, when it's not too hot I tend to forget and got a blistering sun burn at Ocean City one memorial day weekend. Beautiful, warm sun, cool breezes, relaxing on beach......then yikes!!!