We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for advise on Suites hotels in Ocean City, NJ

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norton, MA
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for advise on Suites hotels in Ocean City, NJ

We are planning to travel to Ocean City, NJ in Sept. and planning to stay at the Watsons Regency Suites. We have two small children 4 years old and 2 years old and we have never been to Ocean City before. We wanted a suites hotel so we didn't have to deal with restaurants for every meal with the kids. There didn't seem to be too much of a selection of places with rooms that have kitchens. We were also considering the Beach Club suites. Any other tips or info you can give us about travelling to Ocean City with kids that age would be great. Or, if you think there is someplace better, within a 40-mile radius, that we should consider I'd love to hear about it!

Pcean City, NJ
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for advise on Suites hotels in Ocean City, NJ

You will have a great time in OC with kids that age. Our three have been coming to OC since they were 8 months old and you will find lots of things that they will love to do beside the beach. At Watsons you are just one block down from the boardwalk and it is a wonderful boardwalk for little kids and families. No bars, no drunks, just family oriented activities. You will find mini-golf, food stands, shopping, amusement parks and lots of things the kids and you will love. You are at 9th street and just a couple of blocks south on the boardwalk you will find Playland which has lots of rides just right for little ones (try Hamburger Construction Company adjacent to it for great cheese steaks). In the other direction you will fins a great water park with a special area set aside just for little kids. At the north end of the commercial boardwalk (6th street) you will find the biggest amusement area Gillians Wonderland. Here two you will find rides for little ones. There are about 2 mini golfs per block and lots of hot dog, fries and pizza places (you MUST try one of the 3 Mac and Mancos on the boardwalk...the best!). A couple of blocks away from where you are staying is Asbury ave with lots of great shopping and food (try Sac o Subs at 9th and Asbury and Primo Hoggie at 7th and Asbury). Chatterbox on 9th is an OC landmark and a great place for food too. A huge Super Fresh is on 8th and West where you can get all your breakfast and snack needs.

You and your family will love Ocean City and will make memories this year to last a lifetime!

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for advise on Suites hotels in Ocean City, NJ

If you are having any dificulty finding a suites hotel to your liking, you may want to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom condo. There are hundreds of condos for rent by the week. You can find them by going to any of the web sites for the local realtors. Although OCNJ rates tend to be high, the rates generally drop in September, so you may find just what you want.

Pennlyn's advice above is good. OC is a great place for families. I always go in July or August when the crowds are at their peak. From what I have read, September is great because the weather can still be great, the crowds are not too bad, but the seasonal stores on the Boardwalk are still open.

Enjoy!

Westernmass

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for advise on Suites hotels in Ocean City, NJ

Forgot to mention....

Although I have not been there, Cape May (south of OC) is said to have a great zoo. That may be something that your kids may enjoy for a change of pace.

Westernmass

Malvern, PA
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for advise on Suites hotels in Ocean City, NJ

You will have a great time. Pennlynn summed it up pretty good, but he did forget to mention that McDonald's is within walking distance to where you are staying. It is about 4 blocks away. You will see it when you come into town and it also has a small playground for the kids. We spent many hours there with our boys. Also the Cape May Zoo is a great trip too.

I am not sure of the price that you are paying, but as it was mentioned you could rent a 1 to 4 bedroom house for what you will pay at the Watson. Especially in Sept. We charge anywhere from $1000 - $2000 for a week in Sept. It all depends on which week. It is a 4 br 2 1/2 first floor house. It can be viewed on either www.vacationrental.com or www.shoresummerrentals.com. There are a variety of homes to choose from. Check out ours at 1312 Wesley.

Bryn Mawr, PA
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for advise on Suites hotels in Ocean City, NJ

Watson' has an indoor pool which may be great for the kids, but I heard the hotel tends to be "noisy". Porto Call Hotel is the best one right on the boardwalk, but still a walk to the main attractions on the boardwalk. If you want a nicer place to vacation, look into Atlantis Inn, which is the most upscale place to stay in OC & very beautiful. They have villa apartments that are rented weekly in the summer (& I would guess in Sept too) that have full kitchens, plus you get a breakfast, maid service etc. Alot of people I know have stayed there & have been extremely pleased. It’s kind of a cross between a nice boutique hotel with services & a condo. If you want the most economical and you don't mind cleaning the place before & after and doing laundry, etc, condo is the way to go.

Monrovia, MD
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for advise on Suites hotels in Ocean City, NJ

We've stayed at 2 different "suites" hotels in OCNJ - The Biscayne (8th and Ocean) and the Ebb Tide Suites (10th & Little Atlantic, next to the Impala). The Biscayne is older, and more "value oriented" than the Ebb Tide. Ebb Tide is a new facility and a lot nicer. I would put staying at the Biscayne to be simular to a Quality Inn, and the Ebb Tide on the level of an Embassy Suites or Homewood Suites.

We stumbled on the Biscayne (http://www.biscaynesuites.com) a couple years back after our first child was born looking for a suite hotel for simular reasons. The Biscayne is a long 2 block walk to the beach/boardwalk, but has a rooftop pool which is pretty nice for the kids, and a nice patio area on the 3rd floor. The balconys with the rooms face either an alley or Ocean Ave, and are like little concrete cages since the concrete walls are about 3' high. There's now an extra charge for "Ocean View" rooms - I wouldn't call 2 blocks away an "ocean view"! Also, since you're on the Ocean Ave side of the hotel, you get some room noise. The room is nothing special, a living room, a bedroom, and a galley kitchen. There's a futon or sofabed in the "living room" and a queen size bed in the master. There isn't a complete separation of the rooms because the galley kitchen is between the rooms. The kitchen is a mini-fridge and a mini-stove (4 burners, but 3/5 size. The hotel want to a condo model last year, I don't know how that will effect rooms. They updated the rooms last year before the sale (2 new 27"? TVs, beds, sofas), and have been working on making the hallways nicer. The staff is very nice and helpful. We've seen many of the same faces over the last 5 years, and they seem to remember us. If I recall correctly, there is a charge for a portable crib, so we've brought a pack and play for our youngest. The Hobby Horse ice cream shop (next door) is one of our kids favorites, and both amusement piers aren't too bad of a walk.

The Ebb Tide Suites (http://www.ebbtidesuites.com/) is owned by the same company as the Beach Club Suites. Both opened last year. We stayed in unit #276 last year, with the kids in the living room. The unit had a wrap around porch with a large table where we ate some meals (such as takeout from Voltacos). The living room has an attached dining area with a nice table. The living room had a chair, sofabed, end tables and an armoir containing a 36" TV. The kitchen has full-size appliances, and was very nice. The unit's bedroom had a king size bed and an armoir containing a 32" TV. The furniture was all Broyhill, something we didn't expect at the beach. There was a table in the entryway where we could leave stuff to bring to the boards, etc. Check-in and the pool(s) are at the Impala, across the street. The Ebb Tide is very convienent to the boardwalk, about 1/2 a block. The negative: The Ebb Tide is squeezed next to the roller coaster at Playland. It's noticable outside on the patio, but we hardly noticed it in the room.

There's a lot to do in OCNJ with the kids at 2 and 4. You may also want to consider a day trip to Storybook Land outside Atlantic City. Its an older amusement park which focuses on younger kids. Our kids loved it there, and have asked about it each time we go to OCNJ. We've also taken them to see Lucy the Margate Elephant on a not-so-sunny day. Both are about 20 minutes away.

Norton, MA
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for advise on Suites hotels in Ocean City, NJ

To Quad442: Is there any specific reason why you have never chosen to stay at Watsons?

Monrovia, MD
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for advise on Suites hotels in Ocean City, NJ

> To Quad442: Is there any specific reason why you have never chosen to stay at Watsons?

Not really. In fact, Watson's is between the Biscayne and the Ebb Tide. I guess we're not big fans of indoor pools, and that's the main reason. Price is comparable to the Biscayne and the Ebb Tide, last time we checked. Depending on when you visit, the indoor pool could be desirable (like in late September).

We're also creatures of habit, and once we like a place, we don't stray too far. We were staying at the Beach Club Hotel in June, and the Biscayne in September until our oldest went to kindergarden - We switched to the Ebb Tide when it opened last year for an early July visit since it was about the same $$ as the Beach Club, the same management company, and a lot more space.

I forgot to mention before (and Watson's reminded me) - 1/2 block from Watson's towards the beach are 2 great restaurants: Spadafora's and Periwinkles. Spadafora's isn't the most attractive on the outside, but the food is excellent. Periwinkles has great food too.

When you visit, check the schedules and see if anything is happening for kids on Ashbury Ave. They have a kids day in the summer, with characters walking up the street, balloons, and other entertainment.

Ny, NY
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for advise on Suites hotels in Ocean City, NJ

In our opinion the Beach Club Suites are the best in town! When you are there you must try Cafe Beach Club Restaurant!

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for advise on Suites hotels in Ocean City, NJ

I have to chime in here. We stayed at Watson's ONCE, at over $400.00 a night the place is truly a dump.

I complained, nothing was ever done about. I would never, ever, consider staying there again.

There were 5 of us by the way, and we had been camping not to far from Ocean City when a threat of a very severe storm came up we decided to go to Watsons.

Calling in a Super 8 is being nice.