We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental home - 3rd st or 27th st?

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rental home - 3rd st or 27th st?

Hi Guys - So I am trying to decide between two rental homes for a week in July. This will be my first time to Ocean City. One house is close to 27th st and the other close to 3rd st. We're here mainly for the beach, so we'd like to be close to a beach that isn't overly crowded (i.e. everyone is packed in blanket-to-blanket) but also isn't deserted - It's nice to have some life. We would also prefer to be close walking distance to activities, restaurants and shops - but that is second priority over being close to the 'right' beach. There's a few of us in our 20's and 30's who will be there, along with my in-laws who are in their 60's. That being said, which location would be more suited for us?

Mentioned in this post
Ocean City
Ocean City
Maryland
New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental home - 3rd st or 27th st?

Actually specifically the one close to 3rd st is on Pennyln place... And both units are very close walking distance to the beach. Thanks all!! :)

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental home - 3rd st or 27th st?

I can give you a first hand answer about the Pennlyn Place property. First, Pennlyn Place runs all of 3 blocks and unlike some areas of Ocean City, there is really little car traffic on the street that is not directly related to folks living on Pennlyn, so that is a big advantage. Second, the Army Corp of Engineers just last month finished a huge beach replenishment project on the North End of Ocean City and the Pennlyn Place Beach is as big as it has ever been. Third, the beach is lifeguard protected. Forth, there are several restaurants, delis, etc within walking distance on both the surrounding streets and the boardwalk. Fifth, the commercial area of the boardwalk starts @ 6th street and Pennlyn Place is less than a 10 minute walk down the boardwalk to the "action" . I think the location has a lot to recommend it to summer visitors.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean City
Ocean City
Maryland
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental home - 3rd st or 27th st?

I certainly don't think you will find a "deserted" beach anywhere in OCNJ in July.

Either location would work, yet the two areas have a different atmosphere.. The Pennlyn Pl. one would be a closer walk to shops, eats, etc. I will try to shed some light on your other choice:

When I was a child (a looong time ago) we always went to the beach at 26th St. Back then, the beaches were wider and less crowded in that part of town. It was quieter in the eves than in the north end. The predominantly residential neighborhood has some very distinctive houses (in fact, the famed Kelly family's beach home was along 26th St. and we would see them there and on that beach). To this day I love the Spanish styled homes in that area. There were a few corner stores but the closest commercial area was centered around 34th St. I believe that holds true to this day.

27th St. is four blocks from the northern end of the boardwalk, but this is the "quiet" end...quite a stroll to the commercial section. We loved biking it in the mornings.

4. Re: Rental home - 3rd st or 27th st?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 05:17