We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On Guided Tours--what rooms do they book for you?

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
On Guided Tours--what rooms do they book for you?

On like a 9 day guided tour (Like Globus) they book specific hotels for everyone to stay at.

My question is: How good our those "booked" rooms and how do you know if you're getting the best room for being quiet and having the best views?

If they don't reserve the "best" rooms, what process can I use to ensure that I get the room wanted at each location? I've found the recommended rooms on TA reviews, so I know what to ask for.

Thanks.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On Guided Tours--what rooms do they book for you?

Bob -- Individual tour room bookings are likely to vary from one tour operator to another, depending on corporate policy, their particular arrangement with the individual properties they stay at, etc. It's probably a question best addressed to the tour company prior to booking the tour.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,181 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On Guided Tours--what rooms do they book for you?

There are probably 50 seats on every tour bus and globus won't be the only one. But, I promise you that your room will be the quietest and best view over all the others. Obviously, this is a silly promise. There is no way to figure this out. Heck, how quiet the room is will depend on your next door neighbor and maybe your upstairs neighbor and maybe if there is a teenage girl soccer team on your floor.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On Guided Tours--what rooms do they book for you?

Thanks for the advise "Mainer"...I'll ask the Globus Tours directly.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On Guided Tours--what rooms do they book for you?

Neslaw1....I know it's subjective. I was more concerned about WHO I go through to ensure that I have the "basics" for success (like rooms away from the hwy, upper floor, away from the elevators/pool, & etc.). If not, do the hotel staff try to provide a change upon request and do you wait til the onsite or check BEFORE the trip begins? Thanks for the response anyway.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,181 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On Guided Tours--what rooms do they book for you?

There are no Ritz's on these trips unless you find one that includes the Mt Washington Hotel. Most of these tours in NC are probably at the Grand Hotel which is the middle of an outlet mall. Don't have a clue about the hotel as never stayed there. When I was in NC a couple of weeks ago, there were many bus tours (but can't say if they were daytrippers or staying overnight). You really need to contact the tour operators. Most hotels will try to accomodate a problem but unless there are upgrade options, you are just going to get the generic rooms. My uneducated guess is you ask about the hotels in advance and then see if you can call the hotel to scarf up the best room before the folks sitting in front of you on the bus get it.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On Guided Tours--what rooms do they book for you?

Probably not as applicable to an all-land tour like New England in the Fall, but I do know that on at least some of the cruise-tours, which offer a combination of a land-based bus tour either immediately before or after a cruise, room assignments on the land portion of the trip are based on the class of cabin you've bought for the cruise portion. On an Alaska cruise-tour, we happened onto a great on-board price for an upscale cabin, and, as a result, ended up with hotel rooms with better views or amenities than folks with interior cabins on the same cruise.... As I said, probably not applicable here, but just something to remember if you're looking at a sea cruise - land tour combination.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: On Guided Tours--what rooms do they book for you?

I'm a former tour guide for Tauck Tours, who are a great tour company. The reality is that the tour operator gets a block of rooms -- and it is generally referred to as "run of house", meaning whatever we've got -- and sometimes with a promise that some rooms will be their premium rooms. Every hotel has rooms of different grade, floor level, vs upper floors, mountain vs ocean view, size, etc all matter. Go have a look at your private messages for more...

LMM

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: On Guided Tours--what rooms do they book for you?

LMM...thanks for your informative response. I guess you just take what you get on the "land tours".

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: On Guided Tours--what rooms do they book for you?

MainerOnTheGo....good info to know if I take a "Cruise/Land" Tour. Thanks.

Edited: 06 November 2013, 20:08
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: On Guided Tours--what rooms do they book for you?

Beachbum.... Just a word of caution... While I know that my cruise/land tour applies (or applied) to at least two cruise/land tours in Alaska in recent years, I would not be so bold as to claim that it's the case on current tours on all Cruise lines. As the financial investment ads say, "Your personal experience may vary." But a good travel agent can probably help you find out the specific policies on any cruise/tour you may be contemplating.

Get answers to your questions about New England