I know there are many posts regarding what to see in the New England states for the fall. However, I haven't seen one for the summertime.
I am surprising my wife with a trip to New England for our 20th anniversary this August (first half of the month). I wanted to start with 2-3 days in NYC and 1-2 days in Boston followed by a week (7-9 days) in the NE states. I would like some reccommendations as to where to go and what to see.
Here are some points about our travel style:
1. We enjoy road trips so driving is not an issue
2. Historic and small towns would be a plus. I know she would love to stay overnight in small towns.
3. We can hustle but a slower pace would be nice after NYC and Boston
4. We do want to do Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard (would weekdays be better on the Cape?)
5. Shopping - not on my list but it would be on hers
6. Food - we are foodies so reccommending great roadside restaurants would be fantastic
7. For the budget, we tend to go for best bang for the buck. We do like saving on the cash but we are willing to spend on something nice. My 2 conditions for a hotel/motel or B&B is it must be clean and safe.
Again, my thoughts are to start in NYC for 2-3 days. From there, I was thinking of taking a train to Boston for another 1-2 days before heading on a more leisurely pace through New England for 7 days. We would rent a car out of Boston.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you all in advance.