We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England in August 2014

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
New England in August 2014

I know there are many posts regarding what to see in the New England states for the fall. However, I haven't seen one for the summertime.

I am surprising my wife with a trip to New England for our 20th anniversary this August (first half of the month). I wanted to start with 2-3 days in NYC and 1-2 days in Boston followed by a week (7-9 days) in the NE states. I would like some reccommendations as to where to go and what to see.

Here are some points about our travel style:

1. We enjoy road trips so driving is not an issue

2. Historic and small towns would be a plus. I know she would love to stay overnight in small towns.

3. We can hustle but a slower pace would be nice after NYC and Boston

4. We do want to do Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard (would weekdays be better on the Cape?)

5. Shopping - not on my list but it would be on hers

6. Food - we are foodies so reccommending great roadside restaurants would be fantastic

7. For the budget, we tend to go for best bang for the buck. We do like saving on the cash but we are willing to spend on something nice. My 2 conditions for a hotel/motel or B&B is it must be clean and safe.

Again, my thoughts are to start in NYC for 2-3 days. From there, I was thinking of taking a train to Boston for another 1-2 days before heading on a more leisurely pace through New England for 7 days. We would rent a car out of Boston.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance.

Stratham, NH
Level Contributor
77 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England in August 2014

New England is a big place. What areas are you thinking of? If you spend a couple of days on the Cape, that doesn't leave a lot of time to see the rest of the area. There are lots of great small towns and cities in and around Boston to visit. Lexington and Concord; Salem and Marblehead; Gloucester and Rockport.(Cape Ann) Newburyport and Portsmouth NH. Ogunquit and Kennebunkport, Maine. Lots of history and charm in all of these and many are on the ocean. Stick to midweek on the Cape. Yes, go to Martha's Vineyard for sure. Falmouth, Chatham, and Sandwich are my favorite towns on the Cape. Once you decide where you want to go, then some hotel and restaurant recommendations will be forthcoming.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,616 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England in August 2014

You don't need a car in either NYC or Boston and overnight parking is very expensive, so I would suggest taking the train from NYC to Boston and then picking up your car when you are ready to leave Boston and start your driving tour. Newport, RI is another small, historic seaport town with gorgeous views on the coastal road and all of the Gilded Age mansions which are open to the public.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 12:12
East Haddam...
Level Contributor
586 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England in August 2014

Also take a look and check into the length of stay in places. On the weekends a lot of places will require a 2 night stay, so it might not be a bad idea to do a larger town (Portland, Portsmouth or Newport) on the weekend

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England in August 2014

Thanks for the info. I really havent had much time to plan things out. My wife always seems to be around. I will follow up with some dates and times.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New England in August 2014

Here's a prelimary itinerary:

Boston - 2 nights

Cape Cod - 2 nights

Newport - 2 nights

Sturbridge - 1 night

Stowe - 2 nights

Jackson - 2 nights

Bar Harbour - 2 nights

Freeport - 1 night

I might do in reverse with the Cape being last. Days trips would be out of each location. Thoughts?

6. Re: New England in August 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 January 2014, 13:35
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,616 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New England in August 2014

Just my two cents, feel free not to listen! Seems like a lot of hustling, but if you like that , no problem. However, unless you have a burning desire to go to Old Sturbridge Village, I might skip the night in Sturbridge and just drive from Newport up to Stowe and spend the extra night elsewhere. Also, Freeport is all about the outlet shopping and the 24 hour LL Bean store. Instead, I would only stop to shop at the Freeport outlets but spend the night in Portland, Maine, which is very close to Freeport. The Old Port area in Portland is a vibrant area of great restaurants, bakeries, cafes, bars and shops. A nice place to spend a night or two and maybe take a harbor cruise. Happy Planning!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New England in August 2014

Here's an update itinerary:

Boston - 2 nights

Cape Cod - 2 nights

Newport - 2 nights

Stowe - 2 nights

Jackson - 2 nights

Bar Harbour - 2 nights

Portland - 2 nights

I might do in reverse with the Cape being last. Days trips would be out of each location. Thoughts?

Any additions i should look at? Would you decrease a night to increase a night elsewhere?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,221 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New England in August 2014

I know people travel this way and the few times that I have do so, have regretted it. You need to check out the distances between places.You need to decide what you are doing on the travel days. spending the day where you wake up or getting up to go to where you intend to sleep that night. The point is that you end up wasting a fair amount of the travel day if you aren't incredibly organized and the more travel days you make, the more time is wasted. Almost all the travel is multiple hours. Sometimes seeing less will allow you to see more. August is a fabulous time to be in NE. I vacation there almost every August and spend a week in the mountains or on the cape and don't move locations once. Plenty of daytrips or just going to beach, lake, waterfall, hike or whatever.

You could spend 4 nights on the cape with a day trip to Newport.

You could spend 4 nights in N. Conway. then 3 nights in Bar Harbor and a day in Portland.

This is still alot of travel but you will have much more fun. I cut out Stowe because it is similar to NC and farther from Bar Harbor.

Food for thought

10. Re: New England in August 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about New England