We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England for 5 days from NY

South London
Level Contributor
17 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
New England for 5 days from NY

Hello everyone

I am going to be arriving in the US on the 28th Feb and leaving on the 8th March both entering and leaving via NY. I am going to be in NY for the first weekend and was then thinking that from the Mon-Fri I might do a trip around New England. I am hoping you can help/point me in the right direction!

1) Would it be worth me hiring a car in NY and driving from there or would I be better off catching the train from NY to somewhere else and picking a car up there?

2) In terms of a route/itinerary how much do people think I could fit in during the 5 days? I have been to Boston before and although I would love to go back its not necessary for this trip if that helps? I would like to see Maine and Vermont especially some of the national/state park areas (the amateur photographer in me!).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England for 5 days from NY

If you want to see New England, I would definitely take a train or a bus from NYC to Boston and then pick up your rental car there to start your trip. Or, once in Boston you could transfer to North Station and pick up the Amtrak train that goes to Portland, Maine, and get your rental car there. Or, just take the Vermonter train from NYC right to Vermont. There is a list of stations on the website. Please keep in mind that as it is winter, there may be closures of some of the state and national parks (I know that Acadia has partial closures). Also, be careful driving in the snow if you are not used to it. Although they clear roads pretty quickly in the major urban areas, it may not be the same for small roads in VT or Maine.

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
584 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England for 5 days from NY

I would def take the train or bus atleast away from Fairfield county.

I might see if the Adirondack stops somewhere around Brewster/Poughkeepsie and rent a car there. Route 7 from Kent, CT to Bennington, VT is a nice road to travel with nice towns in Western Mass. You can also do southern vt and southern NH and then turn your car in Boston and take the train back down to NY. You don't get to see Maine unless you sneak into Southern Maine, which is very doable, but you do get to see some of the best parts (Northwestern CT, Western Mass, Southern VT and Coastal NH) of 4 different New England states.

3. Re: New England for 5 days from NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 06:21