I'm visiting Conneticut in June 15th, with my wife and (then) 7 months old baby. We are arriving/leaving from Newark airport. We have 11 full days. We are visiting the baby's grand dad, who lives in Milford, CT, and are using his appartment as a base for our vacation. We will rent a car at the airport and drive to Milford, and keep the car for the whole time.
My wife and I have been to New York City before, so we have seen the usual sights. We want to visit NYC, and think that we want to do this by train from Milford (only 1,5 hr train ride directly into Manhattan). Maybe we will do this one day (with the baby) and one night (without baby). So we will have 9 days to do other things. I think that maybe 2-3 of these days will be used in Milford: get a tour of the local sights with our relative, and just relax. So we have approx 6 days to fill with other activites.
We like the following:
- big cities is ok, but we usually get fed up after one day (max two days)
- we can do our shopping in NYC or on malls on-the-go to other places
- we enjoy beeing outside and physically active, in nature. Trekking. Since we have our 7 months old baby with us, it's a bit restricted what we can do. But for example bike riding could be fun, and the baby can sit in a trolley. Are there some suitable bike paths/roads?
- we want to be some at a beach, maybe take a boat ride in the Long Island Sound (to Long Island, worth it?)
- we like small towns, with local food restaurants
So, with Milford, CT as a base, what can you recommend us to do? We can drive to Boston, but then we probably should book a hotel. Cape Cod is a long car ride, is it worth to go here? How is the "inland" Connecticut, worth checking out? What about Rhode Island and Providence?Edited: 12 February 2014, 14:22