We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England States

Center Hill
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
New England States

My husband and I will fly into Boston or close area 2nd or 3rd week in July 2014. We will be spending 7-10 days traveling the NE states. Suggestions for hotels/B&B, places to eat, things to do/see.

Thanks,

Sarah

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England States

This is a very broad question. First, you should tell us a little about what you and your husband like to do. For instance, are you interested in suggestions for beaches, hiking, museums, sports (like the Red Sox)? What type of restaurants do you like, seafood, Italian, high end, casual, etc.? Are you trying to do a loop of all the NE states or are you looking to concentrate on a couple? Any time planned in Boston? The more you can tell us about your preferences, the better we can advise you.

Center Hill
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New England States

We are interested in beaches,hiking, adventure,quaint towns and some museums. Also, visit Boston too. We enjoy a variety of food. We definitely want seafood in the NE area.Would like mostly casual restaurants for this trip. A loop of the NE states is the plan. We do have 10 days to travel.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England States

Sarah -- Believe it or not, 10 days is not a lot of time for a loop through all six New England states plus some time in Boston.... not if you want to do more than just "see" things through the windshield as opposed to getting out of the car and "experiencing" them.

While I'm admittedly prejudiced toward northern New England, for 10 days, I'd consider something like the following --

Day 1: Arrive Boston. Not knowing your arrival time, I'd spend whatever was left of that day seeing some of Boston with overnight in the city. Day 2: Pick up rental car and head north through Portsmouth, NH, York, Me (visiting The Nubble Lighthouse there), Ogunquit, ME (Perkins Cove and Marginal Way coastal path), Kennebunkport (Dock Square and Ocean Avenue) on my way to an overnight in Portland, ME (for dinner at one of the "foodie" places in the Old Port District (cobblestones and old restored buildins). Day 3: Morning trip to Portland Head Light lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth, then north on I-94 to Augusta and Rt 3 from there to Ellsworth and Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park with an en-route stop at the Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory just south of Bucksport). Overnight in Bar Harbor to spend Day 4 exploring Acadia National Park (Park Loop Road and Cadillac Mountain are popular "must-do's") with more emphasis on taking the time to enjoy the things you do as opposed to trying to do everything. Overnight same place as last night. Day 5 -- up and out for a drive to the White Mountains of New Hampshire -- I'd suggest Rt 3 to Ellsworth, US 1A to Brewer, I-395 to Bangor, I-95 to Augusta, ME 27 north through Belgrade to US Rt 1 west to Gorham, NH, then NH Rt 16 south to Jackson or North Conway, NH (nice sightseeing in western Maine mountains and White Mountains National Forest today). Overnight tonight and tomorrow night in Jackson or North Conway. Day 6 Touring White Mountains -- loop including Conway, NH - NH Rt 112 to Lincoln - NH Rt 3 north through Franconia National Park to village of Franconia and Twin Mountain, then US 302 south to Jackson and North Conway (or make the loop in reverse) Numerous activities today include The Flume Natural Gorge, Cannon Mountain Tramway, Mt Washington Cog Railway (check the weather at the summit first -- sunny and warm in the valley doesn't guarantee it's not cloudy and cold at the summit!). Day 7 -- Cross over into Vermont and work your way south (sorry -- been too long since I was over that way for specific recommendations) into western Massachusetts or even Connecticut. Day 8 -- Connecticut coast (Mystic Seaport?) and Newport, Rhode Island (mansions tours?), Day 9 Work your way back to Boston for touring there, returning your rental car and overnighting in the city for easy access to your flight home on Day 10. If it turns out your flights give you a little more time, add Cape Cod to the itinerary between Rhode Island and Boston (National Seashore there is great)....

Am sure you'll get other ideas from other folks, but this will give you a starting point -- (Note: most of the attractions listed above can be Googled for more info/photos/etc.). (Second Note -- the above skips as many possible destinations and attractions as it includes, but with the time you have will at least give you a "taste" of some of what New England has to offer.)

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England States

For your time in Vermont, I would suggest Woodstock. It is a quaint village close to the NH border and close to Quechee Gorge which is very scenic for an easy hike. You might then head straight for Newport, RI from VT and give yourself some time there. Beautiful coastal drive along Ocean Drive, gorgeous old mansions to visit, a number of waterfront restaurants, shops and bars downtown and Cliff Walk, a scenic oceanside walk.

Center Hill
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New England States

Thank you so very much for all of your wonderful suggestions. Yes, think we need to focus on either northern or southern route. Your info is very helpful to us.

Center Hill
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New England States

Thanks for your information on Vermont/Rhode Island. This info will be very helpful in our planning.

southern ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New England States

Mainer On The Go would that be a good route to follow in the fall also??

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New England States

It could be... depending on the purpose of your trip. If the emphasis would be on Fall Foliage, I'd add or delete days at various locations depending on the timing of your trip. But for a general trip between, say, September 20 and October 20, it would offer the advantage of giving you a great chance of seeing good foliage color at some point along the way. "Best" foliage timing varies from year-to-year depending on environmental factors like summer and fall precipitation, overnight-and-daytime temperature differentials, etc. The one caution about doing it in the fall as a foliage route would be to be sure to make your lodging reservations well in advance (six months ahead is not too early) because Fall Foliage Season is becoming very popular across New England (some folks made there reservations for the 2014 foliage season when they were here for the 2013 season).

9. Re: New England States

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 07:16