We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

soft shell crab tour

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
soft shell crab tour

Hi, I am planning a long weekend to go out north from New York City to enjoy the soft shell crab season. Any places that are close by and great to enjoy soft shell crab for a long weekend?

thanks for the help.

Helga

Mentioned in this post
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,847 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: soft shell crab tour

Hello - So, soft- shelled crabs aren't native to New England. They need warmer waters, ie. Maryland, Delaware, I believe New Jersey is as far north as you will find them. So, although restaurants in New England will serve them, they won't be local. That said, i think it is still a little early to see them on menus; I'm thinking May is probably when they'll start to make an appearance?

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Delaware
Delaware
United States
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: soft shell crab tour

thank you! Great to know! Where would you recommend going in Delaware and Maryland for a few days from NYC for a long weekend?

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: soft shell crab tour

Helga --

Neither Delaware or Maryland are part of "New England" -- which is the area the folks on this Forum know best... You may get a wider range of responses if you ask for recommendations on the Delaware and Maryland Forums.... They also are likely to have better information on when "the season" begins....

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Maryland
Maryland
United States
New England
New England
United States
4. Re: soft shell crab tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 05:17