We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North or South of Boston?

London, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
North or South of Boston?

We are flying into Boston for 2 weeks at the beginning of October.

We want to spend a few days exploring Boston then hire a car and head up or down the coast for a 10 day drive (approximately). We are coming from UK.

My question is 'should we head north or south?

My husband wants to go south as we would have found an easy circular route. However, the consensus on the forums seems to be to head north. Is it not so nice south of Boston?

We don't really want to go as far as the mountains (and don't really fancy driving on mountain roads!) but were hoping to see some pleasant countryside as well as the coast. We don't want to drive for miles every day and would prefer to concentrate on, say, 3 or 4 locations which are good to stay in (nice places to eat, things to do).

What do you think?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,779 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North or South of Boston?

It would be a shame to travel all that way in autumn and not see the spectacular colors of the mountains. There really are no mountain roads required to see all there is to see.

The road from Boston to the Spectacular flume gorge in the white mountains is all highway --- route 93, with plenty of places right off the road to stop for a meal or book a hotel for a few days.

nhstateparks.org/explore/…flume-gorge.aspx

The Kancamagus Highway is a 35 mile stretch of well maintained road (not super twisty, edge of mountain type stuff) through the white mountain national forest with lots of places to pull off and park for scenic views or a short hike.

http://www.kancamagushighway.com/

Before ruling out the mountains completely, post on the white mountain forum and get more advice.http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g659478-i11730-White_Mountains_New_Hampshire.html

Edited: 31 May 2014, 16:13
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,779 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North or South of Boston?

Oops .. I messed up the white mountain forum link

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g659478-i11730-Whi…

London, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North or South of Boston?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will look at your suggestions and discuss with my husband.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North or South of Boston?

I agree, to be in New England during peak foliage time and not go to see it where it is at its most beautiful seems a shame. If you don't want to go to the mountains, you can visit other areas NH or Vermont and still see good foliage. Woodstock and Quechee Gorge, VT are scenic areas; Hancock and Peterborough, NH too. Either of these would be good for a 2 night inland foliage stop and then hea for the coast.

5. Re: North or South of Boston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 05:16