We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England Mini-Road Trip

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
New England Mini-Road Trip

Hi everyone,

Myself and three friends are looking to plan a mini road trip from 28th October 2014 to 11th November 2014.

We are flying into JFK on the 28th, arriving in the afternoon, and plan on spending two nights in NYC before heading to CT to pick up a rental car.

We really love the idea of a cabin in Vermont for a couple of nights, and really, the only things we definitely want to do are:

A) Spend Halloween in Salem, MA (I have done this once before and it was hilarious) and;

B) Get at least a couple of days in Boston (I have friends there and was planning on dropping the car near one of the outer T stations).

Anything with nice scenery would be good - although I should mention that I have a bad knee so can't do any sort of hiking - although leisurely strolls are fine!

One of our friends has to fly back early (on Sunday 9th November from JFK) but we were thinking if we were back in Boston by then, we might put her on a bus/train back to NYC, which she is fine with haha.

I'm just looking for any advice or suggestions for an itinerary, really.

Many thanks for any help!!

C

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England Mini-Road Trip

Book your Salem accommodation ASAP! If you can't find anything in Salem itself; look in nearby Peabody and Danvers, which will be fine since you'll have a car.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New England Mini-Road Trip

Hi BooKat, we alreadt booked the Boston Marriot in Peabody for one night. Do you think this is too far? We have free cancellation if so!

We do have a car, yes, although will there be issues driving to Salem from Peabody? Better yet, can we get cabs to and from? (We'd like to have a few drinks that night!)

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,577 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England Mini-Road Trip

The Marriott in Peabody is well-located for a visit to Salem. However, as you have already guessed, on Halloween the traffic is very heavy heading to and from Salem; parking is also hard to find. We often suggest that folks drive to Beverly, park, and take the train. It's only a 5-minute ride to Salem, although the trains run infrequently outside of commuting hours--and you would still need to drive back to Peabody. Taxis are available. The Marriott would need to call for one to get you to Salem. For your return trip, you'll find taxis in Salem, but it might be better to pre-arrange this. Though taxis may manage to skirt some of the traffic with local routes, you should expect a long ride!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,287 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England Mini-Road Trip

OldDirtRoad (love your screen name!) ... this is NOT directed at you ... as far as I am concerned, you are staying at the Peabody Marriott. That is the same place as the Boston Marriott Peabody and it is 20 miles from Boston! It drives me crazy the way these stupid hotels are naming themselves and confusing travelers less familiar with the area than you are.

Be sure to get the names and phone numbers of taxi companies from the hotel. Bring some patience and your sense of humor and you will be fine.

Happy Planning!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New England Mini-Road Trip

Agreed, the Peabody Marriott will suit for your Salem stay, but find a hotel in Boston itself for your Boston visit. Re: your Halloween visit, definitely contact the hotel for names of taxi companies in advance and pre-book your trip into Salem and back. On Halloween night, there will be LOTS AND LOTS of other people out and about enjoying a drink or four and you don't want to be running around at 11:00 p.m., stuck in Salem and searching for a taxi.

Where in VT do you want to be? Burlington is a great little city with a good selection of dining and drinking options downtown. For cabin rentals, maybe check ski areas or airbnb. Ludlow is a nice area, scenic; Woodstock is another option.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New England Mini-Road Trip

Thanks for the info everyone!

BooKat, I'm not going to lie. We want to go to the Ben and Jerry's factory in Vermont. But I'm sure there must be more to see there, it just sucks that we'll only have two days, so all suggestions are welcome!

I have a friend who grew up in Vermont (and now lives in Maine) who suggested Stowe?

In terms of Boston accommodation, I'm hoping one of my friends can put us up for a few days, failing that i'm looking at AirBNB just to cut costs a little?

Edited: 10 July 2014, 19:19
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New England Mini-Road Trip

The Ben and Jerry's factory is in Waterbury, VT which is only about a half hour from Burlington, which is about a 45 minute drive from Stowe. So, it sounds like that is your area to see!!!

8. Re: New England Mini-Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:16