We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Piscataway for 3 days

Which Piscataway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Piscataway for 3 days

My husband will be in Piscataway for 3 days on business. While he is working, I will have to occupy myself. After that, we will be free to head toward Manhattan or anywhere else for that matter......

Neither of us have been to Piscataway before, so we have no idea of distances, what there is to see & do etc...

Does anyone have any suggestions ? I would be eternally grateful !

7 replies to this topic
NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Piscataway for 3 days

Will you have a car?

It is difficult to get around Piscataway without a car.

To be honest in Piscataway itself there is nothing to see.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Piscataway for 3 days

I was hoping to avoid the use of a car but..........

If I did have one, what would you suggest broadwaynyc ?

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Piscataway for 3 days

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i4330-Where_to_…

If you have a car, there are many things to do in the state of NJ.

http://www.funnewjersey.com/

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Piscataway for 3 days

You could head down Route 27 to Princeton, home of Princeton University. It's a nice town in which to walk around. Lots of cafes and shops. Depending on when you go, there may be something gong on at The Princeton Arts Council, the Princeton Township Library (they often have famous authors speaking), or at The Princeton Art Museum (on the campus). You could also walk by Albert Einstein's house.

Another nice trip would be to Sandy Hook. It's a beautiful seaside national park. You can climb the lighthouse, tour a WWII era officer's house, hang out on the beach, walk the paved paths... Ignore computer directions, as they are all bad. You would take the Garden State Parkway to exit 109. Go east on Route 520, being careful to follow the signs as you get to Red Bank (there's a few turns), and take it all the way till you can't go any further. Turn left on Ocean Avenue (Route 36), and it's about a mile up. If you decide to go, send me a PM, and I'll explain the route through Red Bank. The computer routes will have you stuck in traffic.

NJ
Level Contributor
600 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Piscataway for 3 days

If you don't have a car you will need a lot of reading material. If you can rent a car you can do lots of things:

New Brunswick is fun so is Princeton.

You could go to the beach / down the Jersey shore.

Locally you can shop at one of many Malls.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Piscataway for 3 days

"If you have a car"

broadwaynyc, I wasn't planning to but my research suggests that moving around will be next to impossible without one - I will think on it.

owlyn, thanks - I will look into your suggestions & will definitely take you up on the offer of more specific directions, should I decide to go that way :)

"If you don't have a car you will need a lot of reading material. "

lol........thank goodness for my e-reader !

Yes, looks like I'll definitely need a car - no biggie, though.

The issue is getting up the courage to get behind the wheel & drive on the 'wrong' side of the road - lol !

Thank you everybody - you guys are great!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,727 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Piscataway for 3 days

There are plenty of nature type things to do 30-60 min by car from Piscataway, if that interests you. Let us know, I'm talking about hiking, lakes, that kind of thing.

Since you're from Sydney I wouldn't bother with Sandy Hook, you have your own beautiful beaches

There are seveal New Jersey Transit rail stations near Piscataway that you can use to get to NYC or to Philadelphia, two great cities. Your hotel may offer shuttle service or I'm sure you can get a taxi. See this map http://goo.gl/maps/8IxJ -- you're closes to the New Brunswick, Edison or Bound Brook stations. To see train schedules:

1. Go go www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv…

2. From Edison (or New Brunswick or Bound Brook)

3. To New York Penn Station (NOT Newark Penn Station)

4. or Philadelphia 30th Steet Station, but that requires a change in Trenton to a SEPTA train -- not as difficult as it may sound

Reply to: Piscataway for 3 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Piscataway