We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I want to spend a weekend in a small, charming location???

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
I want to spend a weekend in a small, charming location???

Is Princeton the place? I have heard it is a beautiful location, but I dont want to stay in a huge chain hotel out on a freeway. Is there a small charming place in an historic area that might be a nice place to try??

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,794 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I want to spend a weekend in a small, charming location???

Princeton is nice, but not exactly a vacation destination. Check out nearby New Hope, PA. There's a lot more to do and see, and plenty of charming bed and breakfast inns that will be way more reasonable than Princeton. If you're at all into motorcycles, they have a lot of bikers rolling through town on Sundays and it's a fun, lively crowd. Other than that there are good restaurants, lots of shops, vineyards, and antiques. A weekend is just enough time here.

Cheers,

LuvBreezes

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,578 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I want to spend a weekend in a small, charming location???

Look at Lambertville which is on the New Jersey Side of the Delaware River, across from New Hope. You can always walk over there but traffic across the bridge can be slow.

Look at the Inn of the Hawk (I think) or Lambertville Station for a place to stay, then you can just explore both little towns. The Triumph Brewery in New Hope is nice, and if you have or can rent a bicycle, you can bike for miles along the canal path on the Jersey side. or just walk along it (south to the wing damn)

Pjk

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I want to spend a weekend in a small, charming location???

I suggest that you try posting this in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania forums. The center city area of Phil. is very charming and has plenty of 18th and 19th century buildings still in use. Center city is very walkable, has many restaurants & cultural attractions. What i don't know if they have any small, "charming" hotels there.

Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
189 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I want to spend a weekend in a small, charming location???

I know there is a hotel in the center of Princeton. I believe the name of the place is the Nassau Inn. I had a business meeting there a few years ago.

Princeton is nice but after a day or two there is not much to do. The college has a great museum.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,776 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I want to spend a weekend in a small, charming location???

As mentioned, Princeton is a beautiful town. The campus is lovely, there is a nice Art Museum, etc., but the only accomodations in town is the Nassau Inn and it doesn't get good reviews.

I would suggest Ocean Grove. The whole town is a National Historical Site:

http://www.oceangrovenj.com/

It is a Methodist Camp Meeting grounds, but quite interesting. From there you can visit Spring Lake, Red Bank and other Shore towns.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
174 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I want to spend a weekend in a small, charming location???

Princeton is indeed a beautiful and charming town.....especially this time of year when the leaving are turning and the air is crisp.

I'm not sure when you plan to come or if you will have a car. These details are important. I would say that if you are visiting for a long weekend.....Princeton is a good place. Several museums and a few good shops worth a look. There are several good dining options as well. Enough for a few days. After that, not much more to see.

In addition to the Nassau Inn noted above, there are two B&B's.....the Inn at Glencairn and the Laurie House, which are both good options, although not within walking distance of downtown and both are somewhat on the pricey side.

Have a good time wherever you choose to go!

7. Re: I want to spend a weekend in a small, charming location???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 05:25