We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Wildwood safe?

Which Wildwood hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Is Wildwood safe?

I have been doing some research on Wildwood via Tripadvisor and thought it was strange that two seperate hotels listed the area surrounding them as safe. Was wondering why they needed to say this. I have never stayed in Wildwood and I am thinking of coming with small children. Can anyone tell me if it is safe and if their are any bad parts. From my research I intended to stay in Wildwood Crest but go down to the boardwalk for the kids and to have some meals.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,605 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Wildwood safe?

Ocean City is a better choice with small children. It is a very family friendly town with a great boardwalk. Wildwood is a teen hangout.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Wildwood safe?

I agree that Wildwood is more popular with teens, although WWcrest in family oriented. I would check out Ocean City or Beach Haven on LBI for family oriented shore communities.

North Wildwood
Level Contributor
384 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Wildwood safe?

Wildwood Crest is a very safe family oriented town. The so called bad areas are in Wildwood proper, several blocks from the beaches and boardwalk. Just like any other vacation spot, there are areas which are questionable.

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Wildwood safe?

Wildwood Crest and North Wildwood are probably your safest areas. I have stayed in WC, NW and wildwood and never had a problem with safety issues. As for Ocean City like the above poster mentioned we went years ago and i didnt care for it (i guess i was comparing it to Wildwood and it just was not the same or as big as Wildwood) and as far as amusement rides much bigger, better food and value for your money in wildwood

5. Re: Is Wildwood safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 April 2011, 00:05
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Wildwood safe?

Wildwood is the place to go! Very family structured. The Crest is really only a few blocks away with higher priced hotels.Consider renting a two/three bed Condo. many are only a block from the beach. Type in Wildwood summer rental Real Estate. I am sure you will be able to find something. Happy travels.

Brick, New Jersey
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Wildwood safe?

yeah its safe-I never worry about it when I'm there. Yeah you will see teens, but lots of families as well. The boardwalk draws a mix of everyone and I love the atmosphere at night. I think its a rather family friendly place with lots to offer. Only time I would stay away would be holiday weekends when it attracts more party types. There is an area a few blocks west of the b-walk that isnt the nicest (part of Wildwood City itself), but you really have no reason to go there.

I would stay in Wildwood Crest or North Wildwood though, not because of concerns of safety, but because they are nicer areas. I personally like the strip of 1950's motels in the Crest-lots of nice places there and its an easy drive or faux-trolley ride up to the boardwalk at night. Just much more of a vacation vibe down there. Check out Cape May as well. Also, Ocean City is only a 25-minute drive up the coast and and you can spend a night on that boardwalk as well.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Wildwood safe?

there are no guarantees when it comes to safety, but you do your best when chosing a place to stay with your loved ones.we have been visiting wildwood for many years and we stayed in wildwood crest all but one time and that one time we stayed in north wildwood.we never have had a problem.now i cant speak about wildwood because we have never stayed there.so wildwood crest or north wildwood would be my choice. happy vacationing.

Barrington, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Wildwood safe?

Wildwood Crest or North Wildwood are better as teens go to central Wildwood, use either of the above and then go on the board walk and you are fine, Cape May is another good option and just go over to the Wildwood Boardwalk at night.

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Wildwood safe?

Last year we stayed at the American Safari motel in the Wildwood Crest and have to say this place was the cleanest room i have ever been and just one block to the beginning of the boardwalk. We got a two room suite and it was great! Very nice area., The kids liked the safari theme and nice pool area. Price was right too. The only thing is we had to take the tram a few times and with 2 kids got kind of pricey as we chose to take one trip (usually to bring us to the middle of the boardwalk to eat and then we walked back). One morning I did take the car to the middle of the boardwalk and was lucky enough to find a spot with a parking meter so we only spent a few dollars on parking and didnt have to walk.

This year chose to stay in Wildwood at a motel right in the middle of the boardwalk to make it easier with the kids as we like to spend alot of time on the boardwalk especially with the amusement piers. It was just too much walking last time although very nice. The Crest though is an easier walk to the beach so figure where you will be spending more of your time and decide from there.

Edited: 08 April 2011, 16:11