We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

want to avoid wildwood traffic on rt 7/47

Which Wildwood hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster, Pa
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
want to avoid wildwood traffic on rt 7/47

I am going to Wildwood for a week leaving on Aug. 5 - 12th. I have been there many times but this will be the first time we are going in season and I have sat in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour, waiting to get into Wildwood and past Rio Grande Ave. Can someone please give me an idea of a time when the traffic starts to thin out? I was hoping to leave around noon from my house. It takes us a little over three hours to get to Wildwood. Please give me some specific times. Is it any better to take the Garden State Parkway to Wildwood? Help. Thanks you.

North Wildwood
Level Contributor
384 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: want to avoid wildwood traffic on rt 7/47

Leave between 8-9, get there early, to avoid the traffic. That's a prime week, so leave early, eat lunch, visit the walk or go to the beach till check in time......enjoy!

TIP-While you may not be able to "move in", check(call ahead)to see if you can park early at your rental/motel.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: want to avoid wildwood traffic on rt 7/47

I couldn't agree more with the last poster. Leave early! Having sat in the traffic, I learned put the kids in bathing suits.. leave the beach towels in a place easy to get to..

If your staying at a motel/ hotel.. and have an afternoon checkin.. stop by and tell them your there.. sometimes, your room will be cleaned first, and you'll get in earlier than you expected. It's happened with us.. and they will usually check you in and let your park in their lot...

take a walk on the beach, eat lunch, see the lighthouse

it's better to be there by noon, than leave your house at that time..or leave after 4:00.. the traffice is better then...

enjoy!