We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo Rental vs. Hotel / Motel

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
327 reviews
Save Topic
Condo Rental vs. Hotel / Motel

An opinion expressed: I recently stayed at a two bedroom Condo in Wildwood, NJ. I have to write that compared to the rate of a week at a hotel/motel, I was very pleased. The Condo is rented when the owners are not utilizing it. The only thing we had to bring was linen, towels, pillows, and of course purchase our food from a local, walking distance market. Everything else was there. Dishes, pots/pans, brooms. mops, detergent. It was like being at home.

If you are considering a get away, I recommend you look into a Condo. Happy travels!

Mentioned in this post
Wildwood
Wildwood
Cape May County, NJ
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo Rental vs. Hotel / Motel

some motels in ww have converted to "condo" which means the rooms are rather small and many look like they were decorated/furnished by walmart.

your best bet is to stick w/ a realtor who can book you into a real condo accomadation.

NJ
Level Contributor
918 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo Rental vs. Hotel / Motel

Who wants to lug linens etc on vacation. Many motels in the Crest offer kitchenettes & large refrigerators. Somebody else changes the sheets & cleans which is more of a vacation.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo Rental vs. Hotel / Motel

There are lots of options on by owner sites such as homeaway.com or vrbo.com. By paying attention to listing details, photos and reviews and communicating with owner to clarify details, you can find lots of options to meet your needs. If necessary, you can also use google street view to gain even more perspective. Ask an owner if you can come tour if possible.

While some prefer hotels (and when it is just my DH and myself I often choose that) for those with families or families vacationing together a condo or single family home offers actual living rooms, decks for eating gathering and socializing. The option of meals eaten in, which with young kids can be god send when they are over tired or cranky or when you just want to lounge in your PJ's over breakfast, rather than get everyone up, dressed out the door just to wait in line for breakfast! We pack a cooler with lunch meat, cheese, hot dogs, butter etc and maybe one or two pre made meals (think meatballs or chicken parm-something easily reheated). Then with a bit of supplemental milk and eggs, a few meals out , a few meals in and we have saved hundreds on a weeks vacation.

If you don't want to "lug linens" there are some linen rental services that will deliver to your unit and some owners are providing them. Although I have to say I was advised that washer/dryers that are not commercial do not wash as hot as commercial washers so may not be as sanitized as those done commercially between tenants.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo Rental vs. Hotel / Motel

Good points. The Condo I stayed at was not a timeshared association. which means many owners for a set period of time. It is owned by one family. I actually preferred to bring my own linens. The Condo I stayed at did not have a washer or dryer. Then again, I did not have a washer/dryer when I stayed at hotels. They did have profesional cleaning service after each renter. The cost savings and location relative to the beach and attractions, out weighted, in my opinion, these factors. Happy travels!

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo Rental vs. Hotel / Motel

for fifteen or so years we've done the hotel/motel route for our wildwood crest vacations. This past summer i rented a condo at the Summer Sands and was very pleased. The weekly rate was less than the motel daily rate of effieciency unit x 7 of the motel we used to stay at a block away. When an owner takes the time to decorate nicely and give it a homey feel, its even better, When its equipped with EVERYTHING you might need, you know you made the right decision. Not just spaghetti pot and strainers, but brownie pns, cheese platter, perfectly coordinated dishes glassware and bar ware , serving bowls storage containers, ice buckets, dessert bowls, pitchers,... You never feel like its a motel. But there are 'condos' out there that still run like a motel and there is no personaloity to the place UNLESS the new owner does it. When you rent from an owner ask to see view thier own pictures. When you rent thru the office of a 'motel turned condo', when they still operate like a motel, you may never get the new clean feeling of new owners if you get a unit that hasnt been sold/updated. There are many 'motel tunrd condos' that have not remodelled, and i would stat away from those.

6. Re: Condo Rental vs. Hotel / Motel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Wildwood Crest