We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo hiking

switzerland
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Solo hiking

I am a 19 year old South African male. I was wondering if anybody could give me information on a trip I would like to undertake. I want to take a solo hiking trip in the lake district are (of the Drakensberg) for about 1-2 weeks. I would like to be able to fish, hunt (small game such as dassies etc. If this is not essential and if this is not possible ,it is fine) and camp where I choose. I am aware that being unsupervised is very dangerous, but I will be planning to carry a satelite phone, 1st aid kit, GPS and sufficient food suplies and gear.I know the weather conditions and am a well versed outdoorsman. If anybody has any information about how a trip such as this can be arranged (it can also be anywhere else in south africa), could you please help me out.

Thankyou very much.

Mentioned in this post
Drakensberg Region
Drakensberg Region
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
832 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo hiking

I'm not a mountain hiker but have found you some interesting sounding trails on the web site below - with also some email addresses where you could probably enquire further.

The area is spectacular with very rugged-looking peaks. From local newspaper articles of injuries I would recommend seriously re-evaluating your "do-it-alone" idea.

And, I don't think you can hunt dassies or anything else for that matter in the Drakansberg park.

www.linx.co.za/trails/lists/kw43list.html

switzerland
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo hiking

Thankyou very much RacingRoq, I will definetly look at that link and thankyou for your advice.

TVG
Pretoria
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo hiking

Make contact with the Mountain Club of SA www.mcsa.org.za

No doubt you will find a kindred spirit that will be able to advise you from first hand experience.

4. Re: Solo hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 20:21
Get answers to your questions about uKhahlamba-Drakensberg...