We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

martinez, california
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Drakensberg this September and are hoping to go for some great day hikes for about 4 days. We plan to stay at the Thendele Hutted Camp for 2 nights and then drive someplace else. How long does it take to drive to Giant's Castle? Is there a better spot to change the scenery and see more of the area? We will likely be driving to Johannesburg afterwards so avoiding backtracking would be a plus. I am having a hard time finding a good map of the area. Thanks

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

safarinow.com/destinations/…map.aspx

The berg is divided in to 3 parts, southern berg, northern berg and central berg.

Central berg being Giants Castle area, and closest to Durban and the Midlands meander, Southern Berg being the underberg area and northern berg being the Ampitheatre area, Thendele is in the northern berg.

satour.co.za/more/articles/drakensberg.php

The Ampitheatre is stunning, but I also love Injasuti which is a National Parks Board Park, the accommodation is basic or you can camp (they have tented camps for those who do not have their own tents. Beautiful walks and caves to hike.

Giants castle is known for it's beautiful cosmos and although September may be a bit early when the fields are sprayed with pink and white it is the most exquisite site to behold. you can also take a leisurely hike to the bushman paintings, Highmoor park also has some lovely trails kamberg/giants castle area.

Southern berg has hikes and pony trails in to Lesotho is that might interest you.

You do not say which direction you are coming from Jhb or Dbn, but either way you will probably be backtracking on yourself somewhere along the way, but the secondary roads offer gorgeous scenery and little african villages along the way. It can still snow at this time of year but it is unusual depending on the cold fronts and the snow usually only lasts a day or two and usually only on the high peaks, but mostly it will be cool early morning, evening and warm in the day.

martinez, california
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

Thanks for the great info, proudlysaDurban, I will investigate accommodations in Injasuti and around Giant's Castle. We can stop there first as we will likely be driving from Durban. After Thenedele we'll drive to Jo'burg. Is 4 or 5 days enough for hiking and all the driving we have planned? I hope we catch the cosmos in bloom, we love wildflowers!

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

from Dbn to Giants Castle it is 2.5 to 3 hrs and from Northern berg Ampitheatre to Jhb it is about 3 to 4 hrs. So that is most of a day taken up with driving between Giants and Ampitheatre as well, therefore 2 full days in Injasuti area, 2 full days in Ampitheatre, 1 day driving should be fine. And if you leave Dbn early morning you will have more time in the parks.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

…intekom.com/ecotravel/…giants-castle.htm

www.midlandsreservations.co.za/injasuti.html

5. Re: Where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 05:17