We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drakensburg Resorts

Cape Town Central...
1 post
Save Topic
Drakensburg Resorts

Hi, i'm thinking of going to Didima Camp in Cathedral Peak South Africa but none of the previous Drakensburg posts (since 2009) even mention the camp. Can anyone recommend the camp or at least advise me as to what i can expect from it?

thank you

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drakensburg Resorts

I've never stayed there, but I've seen it whilst on a day out from home. It looks fine but looks can be deceiving....

The immediate area has some spectacular scenery and, I would guess, most suited to those people who want to do some walking in the mountains although there is a 4X4 trail which goes up to quite a height giving even those of us who aren't into walking an even more glorious view of the mountains (providing it's not covered in clouds!)

My only thought as far as drawbacks are concerned would be the distance of Cathedral Peak from anywhere else in the Drakensberg resorts area - and the road (last time I went up there) left a lot to be desired due to the number of pot-holes.

Of the regions of the Drakensberg my favourite would be the Champagne Valley area. The mountain views are no less spectacular but the immediate area has more to offer the tourist (shops, restaurants, cafes, Drakensberg Boy's Choir).

Of course, if mountain hikes are your main aim of your visit, then Cathedral Peak could match your requirements.

Have a look at the web sites below and post again if you need anything further.

www.drakensberg.org.za

www.drakensberg-tourist-map.com

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drakensburg Resorts

A travel agent also sent me a brochure on Didima last week.

I was very impressed with the value for money and the scenery. The only draw back is the relative small size of the units, and the fact that two units are housed in one chalet/ building.

My verdict is 7.5 out of 10. Definitely worth at least a weekend stay. I am planning to overnight there at some stage

Also look at Thendele in the Royal natal National park and Hlalanathi for very good value for money. That's where we are going in August

Edited: 16 July 2010, 18:44
3. Re: Drakensburg Resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 06:17