We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Drakensberg?

SF, CA
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Drakensberg?

Where is the best place to stay in the Drakensberg Mountains? What are some of your favorite things to do there? What is the best city to fly into from George? Durban or Jo Burg in order to get there?

Thanks for your help.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Drakensberg?

It depends on which part of the berg you are going to, Northern Berg (Ampitheatre) is exquisite and is about a 4 hr drive from Durban and 4 - 5 hrs from jhb.

The rest of the berg central and southern is best done from Durban.

They are all equally as beautiful as each other. For hiking, Ampitheatre is the jewel, but Central berg also has some great hiking spots, such as Injasuthi, Loteni etc. Southern berg has the Sani Pass in to Lesotho. The national parks have the best spots in the berg because they are at the highest point, right in the mountains and there is no villages higher than the parks board. However the accommodation is basic.

It depends on what you are looking for, beautiful scenery, walks, hikes, down time,luxury?

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
786 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Drakensberg?

Durban would be the closest airport with direct flights from George - the drive from there to the Drakensberg is not only shorter but the scenery's better.

Have a look at the website below and, together what Kim's said, see which area suits you. Come back to us if you have any concerns or questions.

http://www.drakensberg.org.za

SF, CA
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Drakensberg?

We are looking to do day hikes in the most beautiful part of the Drakenbergs. I take it from you that that is the Northern Part. Where do we stay and while walks do we go on? Thanks so much for your help.

SF, CA
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Drakensberg?

If we drive from Durban to Northern Drakenbergs, can we drive from northern Drakenberg to Sabi Sands? How long would it take or would it be better to fly from Durban?

Camps Bay, South...
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Drakensberg?

I still have not been and am keen to hear people's opinions - I have narrowed it down to Didima and Thendele, for great views and hiking potential, but need to visit this part of SA!

SF, CA
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Drakensberg?

So if you say the northern Drakensberg is a jEWEL, does that mean we should spend the night there and not the central? What do you think is the best for a two night stay?

SF, CA
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Drakensberg?

I am looking for both Scenery and Great day hikes.

South Africa
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Drakensberg?

Hi there - Simon from Three Tree Hill Lodge - N Berg - you can drive to the Kruger area from the N Berg but it's quite far and there are roadworks along the route - you need to pretty much set aside a whole day for this drive - depending on roadworks 5-7 hrs - it is quite a pretty drive though cheers - Simon

South Africa
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Drakensberg?

The Royal Natal Park - Amphitheatre is probably the best selection for a short visit - depn on your level of fitness use your one full day in the Berg to do the Gorge walk which leaves from Tendele Car Park - and is about 3 hrs each way - you can bathe along the trail and nice to have a picnic at the turning point

Daegu, South Korea
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Drakensberg?

I am looking to go to Drakensberg at the end of April with my boyfriend. We will come from Jhberg. Is it possible to take a bus to a city nearby and rent a car to avoid driving myself? I am slightly nervous about driving on the other side of the road. Also how long would the hike to the peak at the amphitheater be? Are the paths well marked, or would hiring a guide be the best bet? Thank you!