We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive Durban-Northern Drakensberg-Jo-Burg

SF, CA
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Drive Durban-Northern Drakensberg-Jo-Burg

IF I fly into Durban, can I drive easily to Northern Drakensberg and stay for a couple days and then drive easily to Jo-burg. Thanks for your advise.

4 replies to this topic
Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
782 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive Durban-Northern Drakensberg-Jo-Burg

Yes, easily. There's a freeway right outside Durban's airport (numbered N2) connecting to the N3 freeway which goes all the way to Johannesburg. The N2/N3 junction can get busy and it's a little confusing but follow the signs carefully and you'll be OK. And, once the N3 gets you to Johannesburg, navigating to the airport will need some care for a first-timer.

The off-freeway roads you'll encounter getting to the Drakensberg and back onto the freeway will pose no problem whatsoever. Just make sure you've got a good map and navigator.

Plan for about four hours from Durban to Drakensberg and maybe five to get from there to Johannesburg (plus a bit extra for unplanned diversions).

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive Durban-Northern Drakensberg-Jo-Burg

Easily done. We drove from Durban back to jo'burg this way in August. Roads were fine with lots evidence of road improvements (recent and ongoing - but didn't really slow us down). RacingRog's times are easily doable IMO. We managed to get to the airport but during the evening rush it was an "interesting" trip for a country bumpkin like me!

South Africa
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive Durban-Northern Drakensberg-Jo-Burg

<300km to the N Berg from Durban Airport and <400km to Jhb's OR Tambo Airport - all on excellent highway (there are toll fees) and well signposted - Do try to avoid driving on the N3 (north-south highway) at night as there are usually lots more trucks at night. Have a safe trip... have you got accom sorted in the N Berg? cheers - Simon

Dorset
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive Durban-Northern Drakensberg-Jo-Burg

Good road, but be prepared for heavy traffic, lots of heavy vehicles crawling/overtaking on long steep hills. Also, a few weeks' ago, a lot of roadworks/speed restrictions and lots of speed cameras/police cars. Nothing beyond the experience of any driver from a developed Western country, but I spent nearly a month driving around SA, including quite a lot of dirt roads, the N3 was the most tiring. I drove to the Southern Berg from Durban but avoided the N3 on the way back. You don't have that option.

Reply to: Drive Durban-Northern Drakensberg-Jo-Burg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted