We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allendale Mountain Reserve near Kamberg Drakensberg SA

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Allendale Mountain Reserve near Kamberg Drakensberg SA

Does anyone know about this place? we're thinking of staying in the farmhouse in august this year but i cant find any reviews etc. The company name is Canyon springs Investments 70 (pty) ltd - when i search this i just get info on a high profile court case in Cape town involving canyon springs investments 12 - not linked I hope!!

11 replies to this topic
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Allendale Mountain Reserve near Kamberg Drakensberg SA

Hi,

Their website is www.allendalemountainreserve.com.

Edited: 15 May 2012, 05:49
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Allendale Mountain Reserve near Kamberg Drakensberg SA

Hi,

I would be wary to book accommodation at any place where you are unable to find reviews or recommendations. Have just returned from Central Drakensberg area and would recommend Cathkin Cottage (Bed and Breakfast) - see my review.

Rooms facing pool are best. Cathkin Cottage is an excellent base from where you can explore the surrounding areas; the hosts are knowledgeable and will assist you with your planning.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Allendale Mountain Reserve near Kamberg Drakensberg SA

Kamberg is gorgeous, perhaps contact the local estate agents www.pamgolding.co.za Nottingham road area and ask them for recommendations or ask if they know the place you are referring to. The midlands meander info centre should also be able to assist you.

http://www.midlandsmeander.co.za/

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Edited: 16 May 2012, 18:54
durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Allendale Mountain Reserve near Kamberg Drakensberg SA

Just googled it and it looks legit, however one can never be too careful. Cleopatra Mountain Lodge is legit and very beautiful http://www.cleomountain.com/, perhaps have a look at that or Hartford Country Estate , which is on a stud farm http://www.hartford.co.za/

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Allendale Mountain Reserve near Kamberg Drakensberg SA

Hello and I have never heard of them but there are loads of places in the Drakensberg to stay. I have stayed in a few places and depending on your schedule and where you are travelling to and from you can plan a route. Have a look at www.safarikzn.com & www.kznwildlife.com

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Allendale Mountain Reserve near Kamberg Drakensberg SA

We spent the last week of August staying at the main house at Allendale to celebrate my Mother's 80th birthday. It is a most beautifully appointed, classic South African farm house with a surround verandah, beautifully furnished rooms, excellently equipped kitchen and the most comfortable bedrooms and bathrooms. The staff are helpful, discreet and efficient. The main activity is that of relaxing and walking and we saw a number of different buck species including eland and the bearded vultures which nest in the mountains. We trekked to the waterfall half way up the mountain which was beautiful and Thulani took us up to the mountain plateau in the farm vehicle where we walked for two hours. We saw no other humans apart from the staff on the estate and the scenery is quite spectacular. There are no shops close by and you need to go prepared with food/drink. Relaxation is the main activity although there is a TV with satellite channels that allowed us to watch the US open. Horse riding is available but we stuck to our two legs.There is a second house available for bigger parties further towards the mountains with the most spectacular views. I highly recommend it for a genuine get away.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Allendale Mountain Reserve near Kamberg Drakensberg SA

Sounds like a great spot and really pleased you enjoyed it! My in laws have a farm just up the road from Kamberg and we love staying in that area.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Allendale Mountain Reserve near Kamberg Drakensberg SA

Thanks to everyone for your posts to my enquiry last year.

From this latest post it sounds like we missed a great stay - we did book direct with Allendale for last August (2012) and I'd have no hestitation in booking again. Unfortunately this was when the snow fell and this area had power cuts for a couple of days. The owner contacted us to advise he couldn't guarantee power, so reluctantly, as our party included the very old and the very young we decided we couldn't risk no power (ie no water either!) so we had to cancel literally on the day we were due to travel there from the Battlefields. The fact that the owner contacted us before we set out and that we had no problem getting our money back I think suggests they are legit!

We headed up towards the Mozambique coast instead so missed the Drakensberg altogether - which means we definitely have to have another trip to SA!

We'd definitely recommend Ryan at Uyaphi.com who sorted out amazing alternative accommodation for us literally as we were driving along - making us feel like we had our own personal travel agent!

Edited: 09 September 2013, 22:12
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Allendale Mountain Reserve near Kamberg Drakensberg SA

Just come back from a superb weekend up there....it is owned by friends of mine. Visit the website, just google Allendale Mountain reserve

Save Reply
10. Re: Allendale Mountain Reserve near Kamberg Drakensberg SA

Hi,

Is the lodge still running? They no longer seem to have a website?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to: Allendale Mountain Reserve near Kamberg Drakensberg SA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted