We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay for San paintings & little hiking

India
Level Contributor
163 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay for San paintings & little hiking

hi,

we are family of 4 ,2 kids under age 10 & want to visit Drakensberg in Christmas break(is this good time to go)

we want to see San paintings & gentle hiking...........I am unable to decide what town should we stay to be nearest to San paintings.........also,we may use Baz Bus to get to that town so please suggest something.

we are looking for luxury lodge or self catering cottage.

8 replies to this topic
Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay for San paintings & little hiking

Hello, have a look at the Drakensburg Sun, i stayed there with a family from India, and i took the mother and 2 daughters up to see the San Rock Paintings and also for lovely hikes. The hotel itself was great and my clients really enjoyed staying there.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay for San paintings & little hiking

Hello and you have many choices. If you have children look at the Cathedral Peak Hotel, which is more of a resort and the Didima camp run by KZN Wildlife. There is a great rock art centre at Didima but the two places are very close to each other. Giants Castle has a 'cave museum' and is more central Drakensberg. The KZN camp here is great to with restaurant, bar, and of course good hiking for all levels. In Kamberg there is also good rock art though I have not been there for a few years. If you want luxury and probably the best food in the Berg take a look at Cleopatra Mountain Farmhouse.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Holland
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay for San paintings & little hiking

Hi!!

Lyn: We will also spend some nights in Winterton end of december and are really interested in visiting Sun sites. Which specific site did you visit with your client?

Mark: We read somewhere on the internet the paintings at Didima are replicas. Is this true?

Which site (that is not too hard too reach) has the most interesting paintings in the Winterton area and surroundings?

Appreciate your input!!!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay for San paintings & little hiking

Hello and Didima is a more of a museum dedicated to the San people. It has models, reproduction artwork and even a film show. We really enjoyed visiting when we stayed in the Didima chalets. The most accessible san paintings I have seen were at Kamberg, but there are many sites. Most lodges and hotels will be available to advise and even offer guides to sites. If I remember correctly there is also rock art at Giants Castle. I will be there in March next year and must take another look.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

India
Level Contributor
163 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay for San paintings & little hiking

hi,

thanks for the reply.......am checking all the options suggested by posters.......thre is another option to stay in Midlands & go visit Kamberg from there.................how long is the trek from Kamberg National park & is it okay with kids......

thanks

pragati

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay for San paintings & little hiking

I think since I was last there it looks like there is a new facility and rock art centre. It says there is a guide on hand and its approx 2 1/2 walk? Take a look at KZN Wildlife and under accommodation you will see Kamberg. There is information there and contact details. I stayed at Kamberg at the self catering cottages 6 years ago and thought they and the area in general was great.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

India
Level Contributor
163 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay for San paintings & little hiking

well, kznwildlife is fully booked .....that is why I was trying to book something at Midlands but still no luck there too.........

2-3 hr means one side or both.......still I am sure we will manage that......

thanks for reply

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay for San paintings & little hiking

I am amazed that Didima & Giants Castle are both full. When are you travelling? Take a look at Cathedral Peak Hotel. We stayed there this year and really enjoyed it. You could email them to ask about their nearest rock art. They have guides to for walking who I think are free. There is a lot to do there and its next door to the Didima Rock Art Centre.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Reply to: where to stay for San paintings & little hiking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted