We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winery tour & itinery help

Scotland
Level Contributor
280 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Winery tour & itinery help

I wonder if anyone can offer some assistance with our forthcoming vist to Frankschhoek.

We will be driving from Hermanus & staying for 2 nights before departing for a very early flight.

We would like to do an organised wine tour so that hubby doesn't need to drive. Whole or half Day? not sure what to expect & no idea how much wine one drinks on these tours!!?? Can anyone enlighten me?

We thought about stopping at a vineyard for lunch before arriving at FK? then eating at the Tasting Quarter that night (not sure if this would be advisable after a wine tour?) Next day wine tour & dinner at La Bon vivant.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winery tour & itinery help

Hi folks

We are currently half way through a ten week stay in Franschhoek, and would be happy to advise on eating/winery options. If you are doing a lunch at a winery we would probably suggest not trying Le Quartier Francais (min 4 course) the same night. How about lunch at somewhere like Bread and Wine, Mount Rochelle Country Kitchen or Chamonix, then a few wineries (3 or 4 would be plenty) the afternoon of the day you arrive, and few wineries in the morning of day 2 and then LQF that night. There are half or full day tours you can tailor to suit your requirements.

If you are coming up from Hermanus there are some excellent wineries you could try on the way in the Hemel-en-Arde Valley.

Send us a PM if you'd like any further info

Regards

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winery tour & itinery help

Hi,

We did a private wine tour for a day (9am - 5pm) when we visited Cape Town last year.

We went to 3 vineyards in the morning and stopped for lunch in Franschoek before going on a cellar tour at Grande Provence in the afternoon.

At each vineyard we did a tasting session and they allow you to try 5 different wines each (you can try each others though too so it can add up to 10!). The glasses they pour amount to quite a few sips each so by the time we finished at the 3rd vineyard it was definitely time for food!

We thought that Boschendal was by far the most geared up for the tasting sessions. They have tables and chairs under a huge tree and the bar area is built around the tree trunk. They bring you a list of their wines that you can try and you tick the 5 you want to try. They then bring them out to you at your table, and advised you what order they are placed in, and you also get water to sip in between each different wine.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,907 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winery tour & itinery help

Drive over the great mountain passes to the Winelands from Hermanus.

Boschendal is very pretty and formerly Cecil Rhodes house (and he could have his pick of places to live!). Lovely lawns for picnics (can be bought there) House worth exploring.

A place like Fairview ( of "goats do roam" fame) offer 10 samples of wine (for about 100rand, if I remember correctly), plus there's cheeses and olives for the driver!

The cafes of Stellenbosch are well worth strolling around, too, with a good museum to show early (european) life in the region.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winery tour & itinery help

Who was your guide Chino? Would you recommend? If so, please share the details as what you did sounds right up my street! Thanks.

Scotland
Level Contributor
280 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winery tour & itinery help

Has anyone used La Rochelle tours for winetasting?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winery tour & itinery help

We haven't but I notice the we all four of the wineries listed in the Franschhoek Hopper itinerary are within walking distance of the village (and we've walked to each of them in the last month)

Scotland
Level Contributor
280 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winery tour & itinery help

Whats the Frankschoek Hopper? Walking would be fine but we really only have one day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winery tour & itinery help

It was on the La Rochelle Tours website, and was what I thought you were looking at

Scotland
Level Contributor
280 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winery tour & itinery help

so it is, I didn't notice it! I think I'll just book the day tour with Rochelle & be done with it.

10. Re: Winery tour & itinery help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 04:16