We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long in Franschhoek Vs Cape Town

Which Franschhoek hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
53 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How long in Franschhoek Vs Cape Town

We either have 4 nights in Franschhoek and 4 nights in Cape Town or could spend just 3 nights in the winelands and 5 nights in Cape Town.

Question is how long does one need in Cape Town to get the full experience? Will 4 nights be too long in Franschhoek?

Also anyone know a good B&B in Franschhoek with a pool? Is it safe to wander in if we stay outside by about 1km?

Thanks for your help!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,289 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long in Franschhoek Vs Cape Town

Franschhoek is a great stop for shopping and eating.

Period. End of sentence. It is essentially one street, maybe 8 to 10 blocks long, lined with restaurants and shops - including some very good of both. So the reason to stay longer would be - in my opinion - if you are in a lovely lodge or wine estate where you just want to be there.. at that place..not run around. I think I noted a budget number in a previous post that would preclude that. The really lush places in and around Franschhoek are some of the most expensive in the winelands.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long in Franschhoek Vs Cape Town

Four nights isn't too long in Franschhoek, particularly if you like to eat and visit wineries (we have just finished 3 months there). While Franschhoek is pretty safe (no drama wandering around town at night) some of the roads leading out of town wouldn't be on my list of favourite late night rambles, just because they aren't particularly pedestrian friendly. It depends which road you are talking about really.

If you aren't big into the wine country, or won't have your own car, I'd probably have the extra day in Cape Town

Level Contributor
53 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long in Franschhoek Vs Cape Town

Thanks! Has anyone heard of The Corner House guest house? I've not seen any reviews...?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long in Franschhoek Vs Cape Town

google it and you'll find reviews on Safarinow

London, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long in Franschhoek Vs Cape Town

I'd definitely chose more nights in Cape Town than in Franschhoek. I personally even think that 2 nights are enough for Franschhoek. Cape Town has so much to offer and it'd be a shame if you spend most of your time tucked away in Franschhoek...

The Akademie Street Guest Houses in Franschhoek seem to get quite good reviews. It's a B&B with 5 stars. Have a look at http://www.aka.co.za/

Piemonte, Italy
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long in Franschhoek Vs Cape Town

Dear UK Tripper. We just booked two nights in the Corner House over New Year. 850 Rand per room, which was quite a lot cheaper than other guest houses we looked at over that period. It looks nice on the website (www.thecornerhouse.co.za) and I spoke to the proprietor on the phone and he was very pleasant I am hoping that the fact that it was recommended by the Ashbourne House (which Trip advisor ranks as one of the best B&Bs in the town) when they were full means that it's a decent bet, and the price reflects the fact that it's slightly off the radar, rather than it being not so good. It's got a pool, but it doesn't look very big in the photo.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long in Franschhoek Vs Cape Town

Franschhoek is beautiful but very quiet at night. Once you have eaten in a few of the good restaurants and visited some wineries you have pretty much seen it all. I would spend a little bit more time in Cape Town if you can.

We have just returned and stayed at the Plumwood Inn which has 2 pools and lovely rooms

Cape Town
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long in Franschhoek Vs Cape Town

I think it really depends on what you enjoy. If you enjoy golf there are two very good courses between Franschhoek and Paarl. A few more in 45 minutes drive range - De Zalze in Stellenbosch and Stellenbosch CG.

There are many top restaurants in the town itself and many more in the area. Within a 30 minutes drive range you probably have 100+ wineries to chose from. There are hiking trails, mountain bike trails, horse riding trails for the more adventurous.

There is also a lot of beauty and tranquility - peace for the soul and time to recharge!

So it really depends if you want to soak up the Cape winelands lifestyle experience or the city life.

First time visitors to the Cape do a bunch of 1st time stuff - Table Mountain, Cape Point, Robben Island, Kirstenbosch, V&A Waterfront.

Repeat visitors discover more of the winelands and coastal areas and spend more time outside of the city.

9. Re: How long in Franschhoek Vs Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 21:16