We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franschhoek with small children

Which Franschhoek hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
belgium
1 post
Save Topic
Franschhoek with small children

Hi,

We are visiting Franschhoek next February for 3 days together with our children of 4 and 5 years old.

Can anyone give me some advise where to go, eat, taste wine child friendly?

Thanks for the help!

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
167 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Franschhoek with small children

Hi.

I don't know any places that are specifically 'child-friendly' (e.g. with creche / play area / fenced swimming pool etc.) but to be honest everywhere (incl. restuarants, apart from maybe the very expensive places such as Le Quartier Francais but I don't know that they have a policy) should welcome children so I wouldn't worry about it. Some vineyards, such as Boschendahl and Vergelegen, will pack you picnics to have on the grounds which your children may enjoy?

Rob. MD. Satpack Travel.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Franschhoek with small children

The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francaise do have a stated policy for Children. I quote :

"If chidren will eat and pay the full price for foie gras, they will be seated and served"

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Franschhoek with small children

PS As Rob says most restaurants in the Winelands don't have such a strict child poicy as The Tasting Room - at least for Lunch. Most places with outdoor tables simply say "well behaved children are welcome". Same for Wine Tasting, concentrate on places with big grounds and outdoor facilities - plenty of choice.

edam
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Franschhoek with small children

Did you already make a booking for accommodation? Many guesthouses don't allow children under they age of 18. (They probably don't realise they are banning their future customers......)

There are quite some restaurants that are child friendly; just don't choose the snobby ones and you can always arrange for a baby sitter if you and your partner want a quiet dinner at night in a top restaurant.

Always welkom to drop me an email to get some more specific tips.

Franschhoek, South...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Franschhoek with small children

I am Dieter Sellmeyer - winemaker/owner of Lynx Wines

We have no problem with small children visiting us! Depending on their age we'll even allow them to mechanically insert the cork into a bottle, label a bottle or two, and 'heat shrink' the capsule onto the top of the bottle.

Franschhoek
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Franschhoek with small children

Most places are child friendly for eating and tasting. To me the best choices (where we take our grand children) are Allora, Bread & Wine, Boschendal Pique Nique, Tables at Backsburg and La Petite Ferme.

edam
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Franschhoek with small children

Furthermore: in Franschhoek you can have great picknicks at Solms Delta and The Country Kitchen, which is the winetasting and informal restaurant of Mont Rochelle and some 30km outside Franschhoek is Butterfly World. So, enough to keep them busy.

London
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Franschhoek with small children

Hi there. We are planning a trip to Franschhoek and our kids are 2 and 3. Did you have a good trip and have any recommendations!

Thanks

Ben

Franschhoek, Cape...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Franschhoek with small children

I do know that La Fontaine Guest House accepts children of all ages, goes the extra mile for them ( baby chairs, cots,lego, children's books etc) and even arranges baby sitters.

Franschhoek
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Franschhoek with small children

Hi

Ditto the comments about Franschhoek being 'child friendly'.

I'll post a more complete list of who's specifically geared for kids later today - but off the top of my head:

In town there are 'play areas' at Allora, BICCCS, Col'Cacchio and The Station Pub.

Close by Cafe BonBon has a duck pond and ducks (well-behaved kids are welcome but harassing the ducklings is frowned upon :)), Goederust has s charming 'river' for kids to explore (great for Feb when the temp is sure to hit 40DegC), La Petite Ferme has a large lawn area as does La Brasserie. Jazz on Fridays at La Brasserie always includes kids.

Many accommodation establishments from 2-star (Travellers' Lodge) to 4/5-star (many!) welcome kids, but not everyone is geared for them - so it would pay to chat to whichever place you're considering. Many of the local owners/managers have or have had kids, so they understand what it's like to travel with toddlers and are willing to make a plan.

There are a number of local baby sitters and Le Franschhoek has someone available on site to care for kids while parents dine at Le Verger or the hotel restaurant. For longer stays, Bumble Bee Play School often accommodates toddlers in the mornings.

Cheers