We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Dinners and 1 Lunch - Where to go?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2 Dinners and 1 Lunch - Where to go?

We will be in Franschhoek for two days. Where would recommend us eating for two dinners and one lunch? And why? Thanks!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Dinners and 1 Lunch - Where to go?

For fine dining, The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais. Expensive.

Ici at same venue excellent but not as elaborate. Bread and Wine nice for lunch. Mange tout at Mont Rochelle Hotel. Mon Plaisir at Chamonix Wine Estate.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Dinners and 1 Lunch - Where to go?

The Tasting Room is a comparatively formal fine dining restaurant = it is quite expensive with set 5 or 8 course menus. It is a very good restaurant but probably only about the third or fourth best restaurant in the Cape.

Ici at the same venue is much more basic - very modern in style - food was ordinary.

Different possibilities for dinner would definitely include Le Bon Vivant - relaxed romantic with very good cuisine - or Mon Plaisir at Chamonix - a bit of a trek uphill (by car at night) rustic French bistro style

For lunch the best two options are both slightly out of town - Bread and Wine and La Petite Ferme (book a terrace table)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Dinners and 1 Lunch - Where to go?

Does Bread and Wine have a nice view/atmosphere like Le Petite Ferme?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Dinners and 1 Lunch - Where to go?

Also Belfast, what would you consider the 1st and 2nd best in CT?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Dinners and 1 Lunch - Where to go?

Also Belfast, what would you consider the 1st and 2nd best in the area?

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Dinners and 1 Lunch - Where to go?

Everyone will have their own ideas but for me the best dining experience in the area is Ruste en Vrede followed by La Colombe, after that there are a number of other very good restaurants.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Dinners and 1 Lunch - Where to go?

As far as Franschhoek is concerned, if you want somewhere other than The Tasting Room, then I also vote for Le Bon Vivant and Mon Plaisir. Others (not already mentioned) to consider are Reubens and Bouillabaise. I was no overly impressed by Ici or The French Connection.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Dinners and 1 Lunch - Where to go?

Bread and Wine is nice but La Petite Ferme has a much nicer view.

The following are the top rated restaurants ( according to Prudential Eatout Restaurant Awards) in South Africa:

1. La Colombe, Cape Town.

2. Jardine, Cape Town.

3. Terroir, Stellenbosch.

4. Overture, Stellenbosch.

5. Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient, Pretoria.

6. Rust en Vrede, Stellenbosch.

7. The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais.

8. Roots at Forum Homini, Krugersdorp.

9. Bizerca, Cape Town.

10. Hartford House, Mooi River.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Dinners and 1 Lunch - Where to go?

I Love to Vacation - Well I have to agree with Macsym here - the top two restuarants in the Western cape are Rust en Vrede and La Colombe. We ate in both last month and they were definitely the best all round dining experiences we had

Rust en Vrede is sited on the wine estate of the same name a few minutes drive south of Stellenbosch. It is located in an old barrel-vaulted cellar. The ambience is upmarket but I wouldn't call it stuffy - all the staff were very friendly and professional and really worked together as a team. The food was fantastic - you can have a small a la carte 4 course menu or set 6 course. The winelist was very very good including lots more than just SA wines ( a lot of Chamagne for instance). Book well in advance

La Colombe was not quite what we had expected- a lot less formal. Again it is on a wine estate, Constantia Uitsig, and the ambience is "cottage deluxe" (we ate there in late winter - in summer they have what looked like a beautiful terrace). Again the staff were universally excellent. The winelist was a tome of SA wine. The food was again all delicious.

Perhaps the best thing about these restaurants, especially for non-SA residents, is the price. I have eaten many times in London, New York (and Belfast !) and you will never get the quality of dining experience you get in these and other SA restaurants for the money. Unbelievably dinner for two with good wines at La Colombe was only £80 - the wine alone would cost that here in a similar standard restaurant.

To be honest we only had a couple of below par meals whilst dining for three weeks in the Cape - the standard was very good overall

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,195 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Dinners and 1 Lunch - Where to go?

As everyone's chipping in I would say my choice would be :

Winelands - Rust en Vrede followed by Terroir (with Delaire for the best view)

City - Opal Lounge followed by Aubergine (Bizerca best informal)

Constantia - La Colombe followed by Buitenverwachting (best lunch place)

But then there are 70-100 other places that we have eaten in the region over the past couple of years where we would be very happy to go again. You have to eat widely to have any opinion about what's the "best".

Get answers to your questions about Franschhoek