We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boutique wineries

dallas
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Boutique wineries

We want to visit some of the wineries with the best award winning wines, but we would also like to visit some of the smaller, less commercialized boutique wineries with a lot of character and beautiful scenery...any suggestions?

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boutique wineries

We re-visited Haut Espoir, Glenwood and My Wyn on our recent trip to Franschhoek in early January. They are all small (and in My Wyn's case tiny) wineries with wonderful locations and tour-friendly owners/wine makers. Generally they are all open from 10am during the week but it's always a good idea to phone first and if you want to do one of the fantastic fybos walks at Haut Espoir you will need to book in advance. Enjoy your trip.

dallas
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Boutique wineries

Thank you. I will add these 3 to my list.

Franschhoek
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boutique wineries

Hi, your list of three, (Haut Espoir, Glenwood and MyWyn) are perfect for a less-commercial and intimate experience. All three have great views and decent wines to boot!

Haut Espoir have won a number of awards for their Chardonnay. Call ahead and try to be there when Rob is in. His entertaining and knowledgeable company will make for a memorable visit. Add the elevated position of the farm and the spectacular views and you can't go wrong.

Glenwood is in a valley behind Franschhoek and generally about 4degC cooler. Their whites benefit from the cooler weather and their list of awards for their Chardonnay in particular is impressive. Sit under the trees and enjoy the unspoilt view. DP, the winemaker and GM is a great conversationalist and super-friendly.

MyWyn is fab and very unusual. The view from here is worth a memory card at least! Jacoline is hands-on and you'd be hard-pressed for a better outing. The road to the winery is pretty steep - don't be alarmed, it's worth it.

Haut Espoir:

Tel:+27 (0)21 876 4000

Email: wine@hautespoir.co.za

Glenwood:

Charmaine Truter - Tasting Room & PR Manager

Tel:+27 (0)21 876 2044

Email:charmaine@glenwoodvineyards.co.za

MyWyn:

Tel: +27 (0)21 876 2518

Email: tastewine@telkomsa.net

Franschhoek
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boutique wineries

Hi, your list of three, (Haut Espoir, Glenwood and MyWyn) are perfect for a less-commercial and intimate experience. All three have great views and decent wines to boot!

Haut Espoir have won a number of awards for their Chardonnay. Call ahead and try to be there when Rob is in. His entertaining and knowledgeable company will make for a memorable visit. Add the elevated position of the farm and the spectacular views and you can't go wrong.

Glenwood is in a valley behind Franschhoek and generally about 4degC cooler. Their whites benefit from the cooler weather and their list of awards for their Chardonnay in particular is impressive. Sit under the trees and enjoy the unspoilt view. DP, the winemaker and GM is a great conversationalist and super-friendly.

MyWyn is fab and very unusual. The view from here is worth a memory card at least! Jacoline is hands-on and you'd be hard-pressed for a better outing. The road to the winery is pretty steep - don't be alarmed, it's worth it.

Haut Espoir:

Tel:+27 (0)21 876 4000

Email: wine@hautespoir.co.za

Glenwood:

Charmaine Truter - Tasting Room & PR Manager

Tel:+27 (0)21 876 2044

Email:charmaine@glenwoodvineyards.co.za

MyWyn:

Tel: +27 (0)21 876 2518

Email: tastewine@telkomsa.net

dallas
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boutique wineries

Sounds like just what we are looking for....thanks to you and others I think this wine trip will be perfect. I'll make sure to contact these people before we go because we'll be there on Sunday/Monday. I want to make sure they are able to see us.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boutique wineries

In Franschhoek area I would look at two more :

Lynx Wines. A small estate run by a very friendly Geman winemaker Dieter Sellmeyer - who will talk to you for hours. Good Merlot and a Merlot based Bourduax Blend (think St Emilion) and an excellent Viognier.

Solms Delta. A somewhat larger estate but still not the mainstream. They have some of the most interesting wines in the cape - different varietals and blends. Look at the Hiervandaan ( a blend based on Carignan and Grenache) and Africana a wonderful Shiraz made, Amorone style, from vine dried grapes. Also a lovely dessert wine (Koloni) which is actually quite dry but is also made from vine dried grapes in the Italian Amorone style. They also produce one of the best "serious" Roses in SA.

You should definitely visit the very interesting Museum Van de Caab concerning the history of the farm and all it's peoples. BTW the owner is a noted neuro-surgeon and also a world authority on Sigmund Freud!

Edited: 29 January 2010, 15:49
Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boutique wineries

Two wineries that have not been mentioned in this post certainly deserve to be mentioned

Stony Brook is still a comparatively small "boutique winery" has a beautiful setting highly welcoming owners and most importantly produces some very good wine such as the Platter Five Star Ghost Gum

Boekenhoutskloof may be a bit too big to be a boutique wine but there is a wonderful view from the tasting deck and they arguably produce some of SA's best wines especially red.

Sunday opening is a bit more common around Franschhoek but is still not anything like 100%

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
642 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boutique wineries

Can I suggest something fantastic - but a short drive away?

We recent visited (and stayed over at) Bovlie Valley Retreat, the owners of which also own Dunstone Winery - their 2008 Shiraz was in November 09 awarded Platters 5 stars!

This is a fantastic place with a stunning location, just outside Wellington - certainly worth a try IMHO.

9. Re: Boutique wineries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2010, 07:16