We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for a picnic?

Level Contributor
15 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Best place for a picnic?

We are going to be in Franschhoek in November for just one night and were planning on using the Vineyard Hopper bus to try a few of the different wine estates.

Which of these would be best place for us to stop for a picnic:

Cabriere Wine Estate

Dieu Donne Vineyards

Grande Provence Estate

Mont Rochelle Wine Estate

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,263 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for a picnic?

Not sure whether you mean a provided picnic or "bring your own".

Of the places that you list Mont Rochelle is the only one that I know that provides picnics. These are pretty "up market" and consequently expensive:

You have to remember that all four have restaurants with outside seating and probably don't encourage you to bring your own picnic. I can't be absolute but Grande Provence is probably somewhat too formal to allow you to sit around on their lawns having a picnic. Cabriere might be similar - can't think of where you would have it.

Dieu Donne might be the best bet. They have a big lawned area outside the tasting room and separate from the outdoor restaurant area. Often have families relaxing on the grass but I can't be sure they do allow picnics. Give them a call and check before you go - +27 21 876 2493.

Lovely views from here across the valley and their wines, although not the best in Franschhoek are some of the best value. Excellent for a picnic! So buy a bottle - or two - from the tasting room to accompany your picnic. If you take your own there is a good Pick n'Pay supermarket right in the middle of Franschhoek. Also a few deli shops around the village.

Edited: 09 August 2010, 12:16
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for a picnic?

Maybe some fresh salmon, pate and bread from the Salmon Bar? (see the Deli link on the page below)

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for a picnic?

I am aware that you have listed places for a reason. There are other places that provide picnic baskets as well. eg. Boschendal Wine Estate, Spier, Zeewenwacht, [I think] The Riverside which is the place next to the River on your way to Franschoek and Solms Delta.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for a picnic?

Only been to Mont Rochelle out of your list - very good. Rickety Bridge is worth a visit too.

5. Re: Best place for a picnic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2011, 08:19