We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franschhoek to Hermanus Route

Which Franschhoek hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
aspley
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Franschhoek to Hermanus Route

Wanting to travel from Franschhoek to Strand,Gordons Bay along the scenic R44 to Hermanus area - what would be the best route to take from Franschhoekl. From Hermanus then on to Swellendam overnight there on to Oudtshoorn - any suggestions re routes and accommodation please.

White River, South...
Level Contributor
95 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Franschhoek to Hermanus Route

Hi again

Being from Queesnland this trip should be a piece of cake ( I've travelled a bit over there).

From Franchoek to Hermanus could be done in a couple of hours easily if you did not stop anywhere. You can also easily do the trip from Hermanus to Swellendam, via Agullhas in a few hours, and then similarly from Swellendam to Oudshoorn, so your timing should be fine for an overnight in Hermanus and Swellendam

I have not been to Agullas myself, but I shall check with those who have and get back to you. I think the route you describe is fine, but you might have to go on the R43 via Gansbaai, which is a better road and possibly prettier, or else from Stanford up the R326 and then right along the R316.

The area between Stanford, Bredasdorp, Napier Riviersonderend etc is not particularly interesting, but not unpleasant, rolling hills, wheat fields and the mountains in the distance.

I would suggest a stopover in Hermanus, a pity it's not whale season then, but they do seem to be sticking around longer so you never know.

You could get there easily by lunch from Franschoek. Possibilities (I'm sure others would have more): (not sure of your budget)

- the Burgundy: www.auberge.co.za/ in the town/village, good view of bay and walking to restaurants etc.

-the Marine Hotel: www.marine-hermanus.co.za, not far from the Burgundy, similar views

-Abalone Lodge:www.abalonelodge.co.za , further out of town (not far) along the coast, nice rooms and views of the sea, walks along the path to beaches etc. (we have stayed there)

-Hermanus beach Lodge: www.hermanusbeachvilla.co.za/lodge.php, further along the coas, right on the beach.

There are many more options, cheaper as well, but I don't know them all. Surf the web and you'll see. Check with me if you want to know about a particular spot.

To eat:

- Mediterea between the Marine and the Burgundy, good food and service, and view

-The food at the Marine is good

-Heaven, up the Hemel en Aarde Valley, is really good, but better book

-Moggs Cookhouse and Creation, also up the valley

Vineyards: Hamilton Russell, Newton Johnson, Sumaridge,Bouchard Finlayson, Whalehaven, Hermanuspietresfontein (all good!)

Beaches: Grotto is a long, long beach and Voelklip smaller, but both have good swimming. The sea there is very cold though and be careful of currents.

In South Africa always be careful of our high crime rate. Think about where you are going. There is lots of security prescence in Hermanus so you should be fine.

Swellendam,: we last stayed there in a delightful little cottage, where the en suite bathroom was actually through a hatch in the floor..but can't remember the name now!

Don't know these, but look good. Try to find a place with a mountain view and abit out of the town centre.

http://www.schooneoordt.co.za/home.php

sa-venues.com/accommodation/swellendam.php

Langeberg Guest Lodge: www.langeberg-lodge.com/

If you have time I'd recommend a walk in the Marloth Nature Reserve in the Langeberg Mountains behind Swellendam

Your numbers and age of children if any etc, will also influence what you want to do/see and where to stay

Let me know if you have any questions, there might be others who know more about Swellendam.

aspley
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Franschhoek to Hermanus Route

Hi Again, Thank you so much for your prompt reply- I shall look into all those wonderful suggestons - we are fairly fit 60 yr olds - no children coming with us this time - I shall get back to you if any more info required and I certainly appreciate all the suggestions you have given. Carole - annaspley.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
69 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Franschhoek to Hermanus Route

So curious whether you did this and how you liked it? Some of my favourite routes on earth! Let us know how it was?

14. Re: Franschhoek to Hermanus Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2013, 10:20