We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari within a driveable distance

Which Franschhoek hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Safari within a driveable distance

My partner and I will be in Franschoek next Jan/Feb with my parents. To put it simply, we want to do a safari and they don't. Ideally we want to part company with my parents for two or three days and then meet back up with them before continuing on our travels. We would like to leave them in Franschoek so I wondered if anyone knew any safaris that were in a driveable distance (say 2 or 3 hours) from Franschoek that we could go on. I know most of the recommended safaris are up in the North so I don't know if there are any closer that can be recommended??

Thanks in advance!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari within a driveable distance

I've been told there maybe some near Port Elixabeth if Franschoek is not an option?

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari within a driveable distance

Have a look at Aquila game reserve it's 2hrs from CT, less from Franschhoek see the recent thread on it as well as some say it's more like a zoo, also Sanbona but Port Elizabeth as mentioned above is the region, Addo NP & lots of other private reserves but would perhaps need more time 2 days safari & a day each way.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari within a driveable distance

For a two or three day safari experience forget Aquilla

Sanbona is within your driving distance but is expensive

Addo or any other game reserve around PE is a six hour drive away from Franschhoek but if you could split from your folks when nearer then that area is your best bet

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari within a driveable distance

Hi libby

Franschhoek is on the southwestern side of the country, Port Elizabeth is on the far southeastern side of South Africa.

Very far. One full day's drive.

Addo Elephant park near Port Elizabeth is a very good option for a safari if you are willing to fly to Port Elizabeth

Edited: 17 March 2011, 17:17
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari within a driveable distance

Just a question. If you're going to fly, along with getting yourself to the airport, and then from the airport to the park at the other end, why not just go up to the north?

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari within a driveable distance

We will be in Port Elizabeth and Franschoek and will be driving the garden route so we can brek off from the parents at any time to do a game drive etc but Franschoek would have been the preferred option as thats where my parents love spending the most time. Everything is flexible at this stage, its just that ideally we didn't want to have to fly anywhere though we are happy to drive.

Thanks everyone for your help already - Libby

7. Re: Safari within a driveable distance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 17:17