We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franschoek / Stellenbosch plan - doable?

London, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Franschoek / Stellenbosch plan - doable?

We have one night (in between 2 flights) to see the Wine Region and would like some thoughts on the plan that I have come up with. Our time is limited and we only really want to visit one vineyard to get a feel for it (as we aren't huge drinkers). A lot of the vineyard restaurants seem to be shut on a Sunday night which is when we would be there.

Also, so that we can both drink I was wondering whether it would be possible to do it without a car (by getting a transfer from the airport on the first day) and then hiring a driver / tour the following day. If people think this is possible then does anyone have any recommendations of companies that do this?

Our flight lands at 3.45pm and then we would go to Franschoek where we were thinking of staying at the Plumwood Inn. Then we could have a look around the centre of Franschoek and hopefully go for dinner at La Bon Vivant.

Then the next morning I was thinking of going to the Waterford Estate to do their Wine Drive and Wine Tasting, and then on to Jordan Retaurant for lunch before driving through Stellenbosch (not sure if we need to stop to walk around here?) on the way back to the airport to catch a flight at 6.45pm.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

La Rochelle Wine Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings
La Bri Estate
Wine Tours & Tastings , Wineries & Vineyards
Franschhoek Vineyard Hopper
Wine Tours & Tastings , Bus Tours, Private Tours
Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Franschoek / Stellenbosch plan - doable?

Hi Bumble...

I notice you are planning to have lunch at Jordans. We have only just returned from holiday in Cape Town and ate in many restaurants in both Cape Town and the winelands. George Jardine at Jordans was superb, so much so we actually ate there on three occasions. It was definitely our favourite restaurant in the winelands: the menu seems to change quite frequently and on each occasion the food was wonderful. Great waiting staff and the views from the terrace are also pretty special too.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Franschoek / Stellenbosch plan - doable?

Hi Cvh - good to hear you had yet another great time in the Cape- also good to hear that Jardine at Jordan is producing excellent results - the only reason we suggested that it might not be suitable for bumble was that it didn't really fit in with his proposed itinerary

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Franschoek / Stellenbosch plan - doable?

Hi Belfast - yes, I appreciate you were merely commenting on the itinerary.. I just wanted to say how much we had enjoyed Jordans.

Enjoy your upcoming trip.

edam
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Franschoek / Stellenbosch plan - doable?

OK guys, different tastes, different opinions. You go on as experts.

Grande Provence is not the top, but at least they are open late for wine tasting in Franschhoek (and Bumble doesn't seem to be into wine too much...)

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
582 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Franschoek / Stellenbosch plan - doable?

Bumble

I checked and it doesn't look like Jardine at Jordan is open on a Monday lunchtime, nor is Cuvee at Simonsig.

BTM's suggestion of Bodega at Dornier is open however, as is Waterkloof at Somerset West

Lisa

edam
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Franschoek / Stellenbosch plan - doable?

What do you think about Solms Delta instead of La Motte? The philosophy behind Solms Delta which you undoubtedly are aware of, gives one a great insight into the history of the wine in the Winelands and their wines are pretty good and very special and innovative.

I find La Motte OK, but too commercial being part of a large multinational and from the same stable as Boschendal and L'Ormarins/Anthonij Rupert.

It is definitely worth having a look at www.solms-delta.co.za. And it is also between Frhoek and Stbosch.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Franschoek / Stellenbosch plan - doable?

Hello Kiki edam

Solms Delta is an interesting suggestion and I would certainly agree that the small museum and its exhibits provide a very insightful presentation of the history of the area. It is also, as you say, geographically suited to Bumbles initial proposal.

On the wine front I would hesitate to suggest Solms Delta as the only representative of the Franschhoek valley to visit. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying their wines are not good, they are IMO, but they are also somewhat unusual and not representative of what Cape winemaking is about. You say La Motte is "commercial" but I wouldn't say overly so and it is certainly not as tourist driven as Boschendal. Incidentally I thought La Motte was privately owned by the Rupert-Koegelenberg family and although other members of the same family do own other wineries, they are not part of the same corporate Group or multi-national - certainly the wines are independently marketed.

I look forward to returning to La Motte as I understand that there is a new wine tasting room and of course the Pierneef restaurant as well - have you been? I would be interested in your opinion

Edited: 29 March 2011, 18:32
18. Re: Franschoek / Stellenbosch plan - doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 06:17