We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town to Franschhoek without a car

New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cape Town to Franschhoek without a car

Hello there, wondering what the best options might be for getting from Cape Town to Franschhoek without renting a car. I see it's possible to take a train to Stellenbosch or Paarl, so I think we'll do day trips there from Cape Town and spend a night or two in Franschhoek. But what's the best way to get from Cape Town to Franschhoek if I don't want to drive? thanks! -Ron

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Paarl
Paarl
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town to Franschhoek without a car

Hi Ron

The best way from Cape Town to Franschoek will be by a Private Transfer. It will cost something like R450 one way. The trains runs from Cape Town to Stellenbosch and then you still have to get a taxi from there to Franschoek. But to travel with your luggage on public trains is not recommended.

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town to Franschhoek without a car

I agree with Hank (love the new Avatar !) - In general for tourist purposes public transport outside central Cape Town is pretty much non-existent. There is a railway line from CT to Stellenbosch but mostly the trains are for goods or local workers only. I would not recommend it - certainly do not expect it to work to any timetable. Even then there is no public transport at all to Franschhoek

Driving in SA is easy even if it's the wrong side of the road for you

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town to Franschhoek without a car

Thanks everyone. Do only metro trains run to Stellenbosch? It looks like the long-distance trains are not an option?

Mentioned in this post
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
17,512 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town to Franschhoek without a car

If you can, the best way to get about it definately to hire a car.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town to Franschhoek without a car

Hi there

Yes, it is only the Metrorail trains that runs to Stellenbosch. Long distance trains travel a different route. You best option would be if not wanting to have a private transfer, to rent a car for the couple of days.

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
82 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town to Franschhoek without a car

I am really interested in your answers to this question, can I check:

- Where is the best place/company to arrange a private transfer from capetown?

- How long will it take both from central capetown and back to CT airport (flight is at 10am on a Tuesday in a couple of weeks time)

Many thanks

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town to Franschhoek without a car

The travel time from the City Center to Franschoek will be about 1hr20mins. And then from Franschoek to the Airport will be about 1hr10mins. I should advice you to start a new question to get more info for your trip to and back from Franshoek. For a 10am flight departure i would suggest you should be there by 8am, that means you will have to leave Franschoek at at least 06:30am.

8. Re: Cape Town to Franschhoek without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 05:16