We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franshoek to Port Elizabeth

Which Franschhoek hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bermuda Dunes...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Franshoek to Port Elizabeth

We are driving from Franshoek to PE. Leaving Franschoek on a Wednesday morning and need to arrive in PE by Saturday early afternoon. Any suggestions on route to take, and where we should try and stay overnight? This will be in October, so definitely want to see the whales.

Durban
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Franshoek to Port Elizabeth

franschoek

hermanus wed night

over the tradoux's pass to route 62 then oudtshoorn thurs night (be sure to visit ronnie's en-route!)

knysna friday night

arrive PE saturday

Bermuda Dunes...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Franshoek to Port Elizabeth

Sounds good, thank you!!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Franshoek to Port Elizabeth

I like the previous route but I'd spend 2 nights in Knysna, one of my favourite places. Leisure island is particularly beautiful & Amanzi Island Lodge has long been a personal favourite, although it's now a managed property.

You can easily drive from Hermanus to Knysna in a day, I'll be driving the reverse route in March!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Franshoek to Port Elizabeth

Hi there

I would skip Hermanus and drive straight to Oudtshoorn and spend the Wednesday there. Then for the Thursday and Friday i will spend in Knysna and then drive the Saturday to PE.

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Franshoek to Port Elizabeth

hI nIcjones,

wee too had a great stay at Amanzi Lodge earlier this year , is it under new management. What do you mean by 'it is now a managed property'?

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Franshoek to Port Elizabeth

If it's whales you want then I also suggest Franschhoek to Hermanus, or Gansbaai, also Agulhas or Arniston, De Hoop NR is right on the beach & Witsand has a small bay with plenty of whales. Then join the N2, you are about ½ way to Knysna.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Franshoek to Port Elizabeth

Hi Gem,

I breakfasted with Helen the owner in Camps Bay in March. She's now based in Cape Town. I've known her since she opened Amanzi as a guest house, I was one of her very first guests.

She put in managers last year although they do tend make out that they are the owners.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Franshoek to Port Elizabeth

hi nicjones,

we were at Amanzi in January and certainly got the impression that the couple who ran the place were the owners. They didn't live on the property though.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Franshoek to Port Elizabeth

Hi Gem,

They used to own a property on Leisure Island but it all went wrong. Helen & her mum used to live at Amanzi. Have a look at some of the earlier TA reviews, you'll see them referred to.

10. Re: Franshoek to Port Elizabeth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:47