We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Completely Overwhelmed

Naperville, IL
4 posts
Save Topic
Completely Overwhelmed

We'll be visiting in November, and spending 2 full days in Franschhoek - we would like to do one day in Franschhoek and one day in Stellenbosch, if possible, but dont even know where to begin with wineries and dinner/lunches.

We are on a bit of a budget, so nothing extravagent, as we also are not "foodies" (my husband is a very picky eater :)

Any recommendations for wineries that have amazing wines and views, as well as scenic/romantic dinners and lunches that aren't extravagent, would be GREATLY appreciated.

Also - do wineries allow you to stop in without reservation? Or must you book in advance?

thanks!

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Completely Overwhelmed

During weekdays, you donot have to book a lunch, but the weekend are very bussy, nut you always can try.

Go to Delheim wine estate, lovely food and views.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
844 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Not so, from our experience the popular and therefore the best lunch places get booked up during the week as well as the weekends;.So to avoid disappointment always better to book in advance if there is a particular place you want to lunch at.

Edited: 05 October 2012, 08:33
London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Dieu Donne wine farm for view, La Motte for wine and music!

Franschhoek
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Hi TheHoofs

Locals in Franschhoek frequent Cafe des Arts for decent breakfasts, good coffee and an uncontrived approach to most things. The chef is hands-on and his partner runs front of house. The food is honest and almost rustic with a focus on seasonal ingredients and whatever caught the chef's fancy at the market...

Cafe BonBon, just outside of town, is a consistent favourite - great setting (though not much by way of views) with a simple daytime menu, lovely decor, good service and an always enjoyable food offering. The wine tasting venue on-site offers wines from Haut Espoir which is, in my opinion, some of the best about.

Other options I'd consider are either the Common Room or the Tasting Room, both at Le Quartier Francais (book for the latter and while not a 'budget' option, is great value-for-money); Le Bon Vivant (for dinner); Kalfi's (steak and chips kind of fare); Reuben's (again, not necessarily 'budget' but some of the items are very reasonable), SalmonBar, Dutch East (choose one of his stew-type dishes); Treaumerai (for great baked cheesecake, cafe-style food); French Connection (mussels and steaks are always good there); the MCC bar for tapas and bubbly; Col'Cacchio for pizza (it's a franchise - so not necessarily my choice for a Franschhoek-experience); Goederust (outside town, real Afrikaans South African cuisine); Bread and Wine (outside town) and Pierneef at La Motte (outside town, lovely setting, very good wine-tasting experience and refined food offering - perhaps more suited to tea if you're on a budget); both local pubs are OK for pub-fare and then ROCA at Dieu Donne has a great view and wine tasting next door, Chamonix has a good French restaurant, La Petite Ferme and Haut Cabrier have decent wine, food and great views, and Le Franschhoek Hotel has an outdoor venue that makes for an interesting departure from the norm and offers great views.

If you're keen to buy wine visit La Cotte Inn (stunning selection and best prices in the country), WINES has wine from further afield and House of Wines has some really old vintages.

That's off the top of my head - no doubt some local will read this and throttle me for not mentioning them... It's that sort of town, by the way. Quaint, quirky, charming and honest enough at times to acknowledge the odd wart here and there! You'll kick yourself for only having a day here.

I'm not all that clued up on Stellenbosch but for views head to Uva Mira (great Chardonnay) and just below that is Hidden Valley which offers almost as good a view but adds great food. Rust en Vrede and Haskell Vineyards offer a great setting, top wine and good food BUT the town centre itself is well-worth some exploring and again you'll run out of day before you run out of things to do.

If you're visiting on a Monday - beware as many places are closed, and the comment about booking, especially on weekends, at the more popular places is valid.

Drop me a mail or message me in FB with your dates and I'll see what events are on the cards for that period and perhaps get you couple of extra options (not that you need many more, I'm sure!).

Brett

Naperville, IL
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Completely Overwhelmed

THANK YOU for such a detailed post!

We will be visiting 23-24 of November, and will be in Cape Town the 19-23 - so if there is anything we should see while in Cape Town, we are definitely interested in making the trip!

thank you so much!!

6. Re: Completely Overwhelmed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 23:18