We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How best to spend 1 day/night in Franschhoek

Which Franschhoek hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
80 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
How best to spend 1 day/night in Franschhoek

On the drive from Cape Town to Knysna, it has been suggested to me to spend 1 day/night in Franschhoek eating and drinking to break up the trip. Fortunately, I only shave off 1 hour leaving Cape Town. And being between N1 and N2 highways, I may actually lose time overall. But it's a vacation and I don't really care.

First, is this a good idea? Second, I'd like to ditch my rental car at the hotel, drink wine and have a nice dinner. Having no idea about Franschhoek, what is the best way to accomplish this? Is the Protea a reasonable place to stay based on location?

Thanks for any replies.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How best to spend 1 day/night in Franschhoek

It is a great idea. We stopped for 1 night at Franschhoek and enjoyed a great dinner during our 3 week long SA trip.

The drive to Franschhoek through the wineland was quite a treat, very scenic. There are lots of great restaurants there, do your research and pick a place.

We stayed at a B&B just behind the main street, and simply walked to and from the restaurant and shops. Franscchoek is pretty small, you should be able to find a place to stay that will allow you to walk to restaurants. I don't know where Protea is located though.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How best to spend 1 day/night in Franschhoek

leave the car behind and spend the day on the Wine Tram.

we have stayed twice at Plumwood Inn, just one road back from the main road ,so need to use the car at night.

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
970 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How best to spend 1 day/night in Franschhoek

Great choice.

The Coach House is a lovely b&b and only a few minutes walk to some nice restaurants - no need to use your car.

London england
Level Contributor
238 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How best to spend 1 day/night in Franschhoek

No need for your car in Franschoek. Can highly recommend Akademie Street - very welcoming and about a 5 minute walk from the town centre

5. Re: How best to spend 1 day/night in Franschhoek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 07:15