We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Hout Bay prone to violence?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
London
Level Contributor
14 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Is Hout Bay prone to violence?

My wife and I are visiting and touring South Africa next September, but I have recently learned of the violent clashes in Hout bay last September.

The Cape Town area is to be our last stop for 4 nights and we were thinking of staying at Chapmans Peak Hotel in Hout Bay . However, due to the recent troubles, do you think we should now end our stay in Camps Bay or Cape Town itself, purely on a safety point of view.

Any feedback would be welcome. Thank you.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Hout Bay prone to violence?

Absolutely no problems. I live here and saw about a dozen extra police around.

Yes there was a demonstration against removel of some illegally errected dwellings - and some police (over?)reaction. But nothing on the scale of a normal French strike! When you come it will have been a year ago.

In the nine years I have lived here these two days were the biggest "event" that we have ever had! It is one place in Cape Town that all three major communities live together in a basically good relationship.

Come - it is a wonderful place to end a fantastic holiday!

Edited: 06 November 2010, 16:24
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Hout Bay prone to violence?

We stayed in Hout Bay for the first 2 days of our trip to South Africa. We stayed just after this problem, we only found out about it by other people during our trip.We found Hout Bay to be a lovely place and in no way did we feel worried. We found everyone we met there to be very friendly and helpful. It is a beautiful place, with stunning views and gorgeous beach. Don't be put off I would highly recommend it and think it would be a great place to finish your trip.

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Hout Bay prone to violence?

Hi Van and Kaz

Thank you both for taking time out to reply to my concerns.

It is very reassuring to receive an answer from a local, and also

from a traveller who was there, at the time of the troubles.

Thank you once more.

Best Regards

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Hout Bay prone to violence?

Or stay in an area that doesn't have a local 'township' like Kalk Bay, St James, Clovelly, all have fantastic views of False Bay.

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Hout Bay prone to violence?

Hout Bay is a great place to stay.

We set off in 5 weeks and this will be the 3rd stay in Amblewood b&b in Hout Bay. We start the holiday here as it's close to the airport, relaxing and a great way to start the holiday. It would also be a fab way to end the holiday.

Very easy to get around to all the sights from Hout Bay.

6. Re: Is Hout Bay prone to violence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Hout Bay