We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety at night

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Wales
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safety at night

Is it safe to walk around at night or should we use taxis? Are taxis readily available ?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,490 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety at night

Certain areas are safe, certain areas not, just like any city anywhere.

Get advice from those at your hotel/lodge.

If you want to use a taxi, get your hotel/lodge to order a proper metered taxi.

You would not want to use one of the many minibus taxis, for a number of reasons.

Wales
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety at night

Many thanks

Paris, France
Level Contributor
853 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety at night

Cymro

Are you specifically asking about Hout Bay or Capetown in general, as it makes a difference to the replies you will receive.

Cymraes

Edited: 11 January 2014, 10:13
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety at night

I’d not walk at night @ Hout Bay or many places including areas of Sydney. We used to try to get seafood in the day time driving from Camps Bays to Hout. Every traffic light@ 4 way entering into Hout stepping in front of our car were men with signs offering services from lawn mowing , painting to car washing. I asked the manageress at the fish market on the pier what is the reason. No am not going to start WW3 and correlate safety with that fact but most are illegal immigrants apparently and just trying to get survival . Just something to consider. So let’s not go me for stating a fact as was told by a local.

Wales
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety at night

Just in Hout Bay. It's about 1 mile to the main restaurants and normally we wouldn't think twice about walking but........

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety at night

Think perhaps err on side of caution why tempt fate~~

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,195 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety at night

I live in Hout Bay. Walking in the area between the pubs and restaurants along Main Road or along Victoria Road is no problem. The roads are well lit and I do it many nights of the week. However most of the roads into the village from different directions are unlit. Which particular Guesthouse are you staying in and I can then give you specific advice.?

Edited: 11 January 2014, 16:57
Wales
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety at night

Hello. We're staying in Brightwater Lodge and need to walk to and from Kitima. Thanks for your help.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,195 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety at night

I wouldn't recommend you to walk to Kitima from anywhere in Hout Bay. It is not in the village centre but much further up Main Road. It backs onto Imizamo Yethu which is a township of around 30,000 people, with both formal and informal areas. This, in itself, doesn't make the area "unsafe" but the road across from Brightwater Lodge is unlit for much of the way and I wouldn't advise any tourist to walk this way at night. There is lots of parking at Kitima with very efficient parking attendants employed by the restaurant - just follow their "Light Sabres"! Driving is by far the best way.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 18:11
Wales
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety at night

I'll take your advice. Many thanks for your help.

Get answers to your questions about Hout Bay