We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth a visit?

Which Swellendam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Worth a visit?

I was thinking about a 2 night stay in Swellendam to break up our return to cape town from the garden route. We would arrive late afternoon on the first day and then have one full day to explore - are there things to do - perhaps horesriding, mountain biking, good walks etc? Also, can't find out much about whether it has good restaurants - has anyone been recently? We mainly like it because of the accomodation options at Bloomenstate or Schoone Ordt.

Thoughts on Swellendam appreciated!

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth a visit?

Hi there, while I am not a Swellendam expert and can't say too much about its surrounding, I had found the town itself dull and not inspiring. Maybe Bontebok N.P. is a better idea for outdoor activities.

Cambridge uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth a visit?

Hi

I have just seen your message and wondered when you are coming to SA and do you still need advice on Swellendam.

Regards

Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth a visit?

My L.P Travel Guide says Swellendam is an "unmissable destination".

The hiking trails and the beauty of the place have me considering a couple nights.

I am travelling from Cape Town to George (catch my flight to JHB)and i have 4 and a half days to do this segment of my trip. (1st week Dec.) The photos of this area have peaked my interest.

I like it quiet...I think i will avoid Knysna as i hear it is horribly congested.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth a visit?

In comparison to other places you could go to in the Western Cape, I would not call it "unmissable".

It is an attractive town, with some interesting buildings such as the old church and the prison ! It would make a useful base for exploring the Breede Valley and Overberg areas if that is what you want.

I agree that Knysna can seem overcrowded and is definitely "touristy", although it too has some wonderful features - early sunny morning on the Heads is delightful and you won't see a soul.

For a trip on a road less travelled (well seemingly so) from CT to George, consider the R62 from Montagu via Oudtshoorn. Dramatic scenery, lovely small towns and great places to stay.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
167 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth a visit?

Hi. I quite liked Swellendam - quiet, pretty main street with old buildings and monuments and we had a great dinner but I can't remember the restaurant (Zanddrift?). The best restaurant (according to reputation, I've not been there) is Roosje Van De Kaap. But that seemed to be about it in Swellendam, apart from some hiking options (I'm pretty sure there was horse-riding) outside of town. How about doing the overnight hike from Greyton to McGregor (or the other way round) - it's a stunning hike and not to tough. Accommodation in comfortable huts and both the villages are really pretty, with good eating options. Another alternative - but out of town - is Jan Harmsgat Country House between Swellendam and Montagu - good food, friendly people and lovely setting.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth a visit?

That's a double up from me on recommending Jan Harmsgat - out of town but perfect for the southern end of the Robertson wine area and other lovely places like McGregor or Montagu.

7. Re: Worth a visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Swellendam