We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Crawl Report #6

Which Seminyak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
300 reviews
Save Topic
Villa Crawl Report #6

VILLA CRAWL REPORT #6

Well, back to work – had a few days’ holiday so thought I had better earn my keep! If anyone has any further requests can I please ask for exact addressed as far as possible or at least a phone number?

Here is the latest report in no particular order: Please remember that this is my opinion only and I expect some people will disagree with me!

LAKSMANA VILLA – SHINTA DEWI

This villa is located in a group of villas managed by Prestige Villas. There are 13 in the area, all served by a private road with security at the entrance. The location is really great – opposite the Samaya Resort in Seminyak, a short distance walk to La Lucciola and other great restaurants in the area and the beach. All villas are individually owned and all are of different designs.

Shinta Dewi is really lovely – the kitchen is a large, Western style (not that I would be worried about that as I maintain it is cheaper to eat out in Bali than it is to buy all your products and cook at home!). It is a lovely kitchen though – the dining room is next to the kitchen and above these 2 is a lovely, large open lounge area where you get a lovely breeze. This pavilion is to the right as you enter the property. To the left is the ‘Master Wing” – a small lounge area with TV, bedroom and bathroom. Next to the lounge area is a small gym with 3 pieces of gym equipment (no A/C, just a ceiling

fan).

At the end of the garden is another pavilion with a lounge area on the ground floor and 2 more bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms upstairs.

The pool is in the middle and it is quite a decent size.

The whole villa is lovely and I think you can have a pretty good holiday here!

SEMBILAN – Sorry but I was unable to visit this one as there were guests in residence!

THE AHIMSA ESTATE

There are 5 villas at the Ahimsa in Seminyak, which is about a 2-minute walk to the beach, and Kudeta. There is a mixture of 1,2 and 3 bedroom villas here.

The 3-bedroom villa is very nice – quite a compact, but comfortable design – 1 bathroom is inside and fully enclosed and the other 2 are inside/outside ones. The lounge area is quite large and there is a separate, small dining area.

The pool is not very big but I guess it is adequate. The kitchen is also small but I don’t find this a problem.

The 1 bedroom villa that we visited is very badly located, right next to the main road and whilst you would not hear any traffic in the bedroom, it is an open bathroom and it is right next to the road – noisy.

The pool is very small – a slightly larger than normal plunge pool would be the best way to describe it. Make sure you don’t book this villa as I think the noise would drive you mad!

Both villas were very nicely decorated.

VILLA COCO

These villas have obviously been in existence for some time but we were shown a lovely 2 bedroom ‘open plan’ villa that is only new. I believe the owners are gradually upgrading the villas and there will be more and more new ones in the coming year.

The bedrooms are simple but good and the lounge area is quite large and the pool is a decent size too. One of the bedrooms has a private courtyard with a small table and chairs,which is a nice touch.

We were not shown any of the older villas as they were all occupied.

Some of the villas do not have their own pool but there is a communal pool for the use of these guests (and others, of course!)

There is only WiFI in the main pool area, not in the villas.

These villas are pretty good for the price and the location is great – in a gang off Jl Double Six, so right in the heart of a lot of action.

VILLA POPPY

This stand-alone villa is located down a gang which runs off Jl Legian and is probably a good 5 minute walk from the road. The beach is a 10 minutes walk in the other direction so the location is good.

This is an older villa with a large garden – the pool is all right – it is a pity it is not larger as the garden area is huge and there is a lot of wasted space. It would be great also if there was more shade in the garden – it was very hot.

The house itself could do with some TLC and the only bathroom I saw was very old and in need of an update. I was unable to visit any bedrooms, as there were guests in residence. There are 2 bedrooms downstairs and 1 upstairs – there are 3 bathrooms.

No WiFi – in fact no internet at all I don’t think.

VILLA SEDAP MALAM – VILLA SEKAR TAMAN 2

I have read so much about these villas but I was really very disappointed. There are 4 villas in this complex and the location is good – about a 2-minute walk to the beach at Seminyak and not far from Jl Dyana Pura. They are all 2-bedroom villas and almost identical, I believe. There are 4 different Aussie owners so I guess the decoration varies from one to the other.

The pool is VERY small – quite a shock really for the size of the garden – an oversized plunge pool once again – just as well the beach is not very far.

The kitchen looks good and the lounge room is fairly large.

The 2 bedrooms are upstairs and identical – the main bedroom had a terrible smell emanating from the bathroom (sewerage problems) but this could be a temporary problem. The decoration is pretty standard and nothing to write home about.

VILLA MASSILIA

I have briefly written about this villa elsewhere but am adding it here in case some people didn’t see it in my other post.

There are 2 villas in this complex – 1 with 3 bedrooms and 1with 4 bedrooms – they can be opened up to form one large complex with 2 pools as there is a sliding fence between the 2. I only visited the 4-bedroom one.

They are very well located on a gang that runs between Jl Laksmana and Jl Sari Dewi

so only about a 5 minute walk to restaurants and shops one way and a 10 minute walk to the beach in the other direction.

The 4-bedroom villa is just gorgeous – the grounds are fairly large and the pool is very big. There is a lovely bale in the garden – the lounge area is really beautifully decorated as are the bedrooms . There are 2 bedrooms in the main building and 2 others in a wing on one side.

The kitchen is fabulous and there is WiFi in the villas.

Don’t hesitate to book this one!

VILLA SAMUAN

I visited this one, as it is next door to Massilia – in the area so may as well! Whilst Massilia is lovely and light – limed wood and peaceful colouring Samuan is dark – the wood has been blackened which makes the whole place seem rather hot. This is kind of a weird design – with different pavilions and 2 pools – apparently the villa can be split in 2 and the 2 ‘ends’ rented separately but there is no kind of fence between then so I am not sure how it works. The bigger pool is lined with black tiles (‘to keep the water warm’!) and the other one is of a lighter colour but still kind of dark. The main lounge area has a very high ceiling but there is not ceiling fan or A/C so can only be cooled with a flow through breeze, presuming there is one!

Whilst I am sure the design is good I am really still trying to work out the whole place! It looks great on the website but lacks something in reality!

Needless to say that I way preferred Massilia to Samuan but this is my opinion only and others may just love the place!

That’s it for now.

Sorry but I have been unable, so far, to find Bermimpi Bali Villa - I don’t have an exact address and there certainly was no sign for it. I am quite happy to go there if someone can give me an address – all I know is Jl Sari Dewi but that’s all!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Crawl Report #6

Another great report ilab, Great work and thanks for going out of your way on your own holiday.

You should print a book with all these in it.

I'd Buy it!

Enjoy your holiday in between villa hopping.

Matt

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,009 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Crawl Report #6

Hi Ilab,

Great "work" as usual...

Are you planning to open a business for Villa Booking ?

Glad I chose Baliana over Poppy last time.

Bravo et Merci.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
722 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Crawl Report #6

thanks ilab for your reviews.

now trying to choose between baliana & poppy.

cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Crawl Report #6

Hi Ilab,

Thankyou so much for reviewing Villa Shinta Dewi! I am so excited and so glad we went with the Laksmana Villas. I'm sure Villa Sembilan will be great too. Prestige Villas have been wonderful in their communication with me.

You have done such a fantastic job (and still doing it) and I appreciate that so much.

Cheers

Deb :)

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Crawl Report #6

Hi ochervet

What a good idea - a villa booking agency! I think there are too many of them already - I could just give unbiased opinions though - now, that would be different :-)

Hi 101bm

Baliana would win hands down as far as I am concerned. Are they roughly the same price?

Hi Debsadventures

Yes, you will have a really wonderful holiday at Laksmana VIllas - Prestige's offices are right at the entrance to the villas - very handy. Tehy deal with a lot of villas actually and are very professional.

Thanks Matthew

Will you find me a publisher? Just wait until I do my objective restaurant reviews!

Cheers

perth
Level Contributor
157 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Crawl Report #6

Thanks Ilab for your fantastic reviews. I was very interested to see what you said about Massilia and Villa Samuan. We stayed at Villa Massilia in the 4 bedroom villa last year and are booked again for this year, we loved it too. We checked out Samuan, it wasn't finished at that point, so interesting to hear your views on it now. I hear it is very expensive to rent, so I think we will stick with Massilia. Enoy your holiday, thanks again.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa Crawl Report #6

Thanks sooo much for doing this! I love reading about the villas...

Perth
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa Crawl Report #6

Hi ilab,

If you have time could you please check out Villa Saba?

JL Canggu Club No 30,

Berawa – Seminyak, BALI

(Located 2 mins from the Canggu Club and Batu Belig Beach.)

Thanks so much

loz

Perth
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa Crawl Report #6

Hi ilab,

Just ignore my last request on villa Saba, I just found your review!

Thanks

loz

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa Crawl Report #6

Your villa crawl reports were FANTASTIC!! Not only do you cover the important stuff -- location, cleanliness, management friendliness, style -- but it's also so nice to have the reports easy to find, especially in your post with the 1st 5 crawl reports.

We were thinking about booking Ulin Villas for our August trip, but after I read your report on Saba and checked those out, we booked there instead. Location isn't as good, but everything else about them really turned us on.

Thanks so much for taking the time and energy to do your villa crawl. I hope there might have been a pub crawl going on concurrently! I hope it's been fun for you, too.