We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Creepy Crawlies

UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Creepy Crawlies

This may sound a little pathetic, so feel free to giggle on my behalf !

I'm visiting Bali (probably Seminyak area) in November and I'm a little concerned of the all the bug type thingys and mossies that may be prevalent around that time of year?

I'd really love to rent a villa rather than a hotel for my weeks stay, but am I exposing myself and my BF to my constant screaming and jumping around the place when I catch sight of something scuttling across the floor or buzzing around my head in an open plan villa?

I'm laughing at myself for typing this!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Creepy Crawlies

Hi there,

There are mossies around but most hotels and villas spray the grounds regularly and in villas they do light up coils in the evening to keep them at bay.

Not much more than that as far as I noticed.

The geckos are great to clean up and eat the bugs, I love the little guys for that. They usually stay on walls.... you never seem them on the ground.

UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Creepy Crawlies

Thanks for that!

That puts my mind to rest a little. The strange thing is, Lizards, Snakes and such don't bother me, it's the insect,, and stinging variety that do. I've survived Kenya and Costa Rica, so I'm sure I can get through this lol...!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Creepy Crawlies

When I arrive in Bali my first purchase, even sometimes before a cold Bintang is a can of bug spray for the room.

Spary before going out in the evening...

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Creepy Crawlies

never put on shoes without checking wants inside them or leaving wet towele on floors. there are scorpians! that i'll get u screaming ...justly so.

UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Creepy Crawlies

How cruel you are - I'll be wearing flip flops then lol..!

The BF leaves his wet towels on the floor constantly and it drives me mad! Maybe he'll think twice about that after coming across some nice little surprises, he he he ....;)

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,892 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Creepy Crawlies

I guess after coming from 'bug heaven' Australia, I sort of don't notice the bugs and little critters much at all, because truth is, there's more here. And...so many of the Bali bugs are really quite lovely. I've taken photos of multi-coloured grasshoppers and these amazing beetles (which are the size of the end if your thumb), that fly in and out of flowers, especially some of the lovely purple flowered vines which are grown in Bali. They remind me of large Bumble Bees, which have always been a favourite of mine

I am sure you won't see too many nasty critters, apart from those darn mozzies. Do take care to cover-up well to avoid any bites.

Regards.

Edited: 07 August 2010, 13:04
Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,149 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Creepy Crawlies

Ochervet is spot on, as soon as you get there, head to the nearest mini-market and invest in a can of Baygon, costs around £3 for a large can. Spray generously in your room then leave the room for about an hour. Also give the room a quick burst before you go out on an evening.

It's worth taking those liquid mossie plug ins for your room too. During the day when you're out and about you may see the occasional cockroach, flies, big black flying beetles, and big hornets that pack a powerful sting. Try to stay calm and lazily wave your hand if approached by one of these beasties.

Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Creepy Crawlies

Hi,

for the mossies and other assorted stingers, try the local brand Autan. It is cheap, available from any convenience store and effective.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,076 posts
2,003 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Creepy Crawlies

Its worth taking good mozzie repellent but we noticed that it was not as bad as we thought and we did not use much repellent,

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
42,436 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Creepy Crawlies

Agree with Preston. We had no problem at all with mozzies and never saw any creepy crawlies. Not as bad as Mauritius!

Or maybe we were just lucky?