We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are some people for real?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
710 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Are some people for real?

This would have to take the cake.

I was just talking to a villa operator up in Petitenget. They have a guest looking for a discount because a Balinese religious ceremony was too noisy.

Some people just should not be allowed to have passports.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are some people for real?

This reminds me of the time I visited Luxor in Egypt.A group from Liverpool arrived and were mad as anything when they discover that there wasnt a beach.The ignorance of some people.!

Surely you would read a guide book before leaving home .For me,the different ceremonies make the holiday.

Edited: 11 June 2011, 20:02
North America
Level Contributor
155 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are some people for real?

That reminds me of the people who blame the rain on the hotel!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are some people for real?

We had a lady yesterday incredibly angry at a shop keeper, because the $5.00 shoes she had bought there and worn all week had broken. I felt like saying, "they were five dollars, get over it". Plus walking in Bali is enough to try even expensive shoes sometimes.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are some people for real?

sort of 'Faulty Towers' like.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are some people for real?

You know you're in the tropics when little geckoes are running around the walls of your room and fireflies on your balcony.....I love it...!!

Some unfortunate people hate it....!!??...They call them lizards and insects...!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are some people for real?

I traveled with a friend once who complained upon arrival of the awful smell from the incense on those nasty bits of rubbish these people leave lying around everywhere.......................

She later went on and on in front of our Balinese friend about how "disgusting" all the villages were that they had passed through that day on their day trip.

Hubby could see the steam coming out of my ears so he was very, very quick to put her in her place before I could.

They came back to Bali for the wedding last month and asked us why we didn't invite them to go up to our friends village for lunch when we took a few other friends up. Doh!!!!!!!

But they now travel to Bali every year, I just don't go with them and if I'm there we go out to dinner with them but that is it. Having to look at their photos on FB on their return is enough to tell me I'm better off not knowing what they get up to over there.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are some people for real?

This person should have been charged more for the Bakinese ceremony! How lucky was she???

Cheers

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are some people for real?

A Balinese ceremony would have been good too!

Cheers :)

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are some people for real?

Like travelling in Europe and hearing - and I'm sorry to all of you lovely, wonderfully aware travelling Americans out there (many of whom I adore) - yanks getting cross because no-one spoke English!! Wot the??

Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Are some people for real?

We are currently staying in Legian (weather is amazing here by the way, for all you Sydney folk!!!) and this is my first trip to Bali. I must say that a lot of what I have seen around here, and not just some but A LOT, makes me embarrassed to call myself Australian. Never before have I been anywhere in the world and been ashamed at the behaviour of my fellow country men and women, but the rudeness and general behaviour of a lot (not all, but a lot) of Australians here is just disgraceful.

On our way to the hotel from the airport the other night we witnessed a large group of shirtless Aussies with pants around their knees falling over drunk on a set of steps outside a hotel and smashing bottles, we have witnessed Aussies discarding rubbish on the ground in the street, on many occasions Aussies being blatantly rude to hotel staff and on restaurants, it just makes me sick. We are visitors to this country, we are guests here no matter how much money we pump into the local economy the locals still deserve our respect.

Shape up a bit Aussies, treat this place and it's people like we would our own. If you behaved this way at home you would either cop a fist to the face or be arrested, or both. We are the first to complain about other cultures and how they behave in our country, let's remember our manners.