We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Bali with kids - resort or villa?

Which Seminyak hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Bali with kids - resort or villa?

We are planning to travel to Bali for the first time late Nov for 2 weeks, staying in Seminyak or surrounds. There will be 4 of us, including 2 kids aged 3 & 7.

Should we stay at a 2 bedroom villa or a resort? I want access to a kids club for my 7 YO and a nanny for the younger one. In particular, 3V Kerobokan looks awesome.

If we choose a villa, is there one that has a fully enclosed living area? We all suffer when bitten by mozzies, I don't want to share my living space with them.

Thanks for your expertise.

Bateau Bay...
Level Contributor
83 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Bali with kids - resort or villa?

From our own experiences travelling with our 3 and 5 year olds, resorts are so much better no matter what country you are in. There are more kids to play with,most of them have little parks with swings etc and some have the kids clubs. You then get to relax and enjoy your holiday, your not spending all your time entertaining the kids.

Why not mix it up. We are travelling back to Bail in Oct and we are going to stay 4 nights in a Villa and then 10 nights at a resort, best of both worlds!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,833 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Bali with kids - resort or villa?

i personally find hotels with kids clubs better when you have young children, I also think that sanur is better suited to families with young children as there is far less traffic, good footpaths and a safe beach and the better resorts are directly on the beach.

be cautious regarding mosquitoes as dengue fever has been rather bad this year. most villas have open living areas and also unfenced pools.

kids clubs accept children from 3 yrs of age but the kids clubs are at the resorts not private villas.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
540 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Bali with kids - resort or villa?

Hi

We have taken our kids to Bali 3 times and have always stayed in resorts which the kids love. I have stayed in Villa's over there twice and whilst I love it I would not do it with kids as they would get bored and you would have to entertain them.

Most villas are fully open living with the pool un fenced as this is the attraction. Some villas have age limits on the kids staying there too.

Resorts have so much for kids to do then you actually get a bit of a holiday yourselves. My kids absoulutely love all the hotel activites.

Canberra
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Bali with kids - resort or villa?

For a 2 week visit I would go to 2 different places. Maybe Seminyak / Legian / Tuban and then either Nusa Dua / Tanjung Benoa or Sanur.

My kids are 11, 3 and 1 and they loved the Holiday Inn, Novotel Nusa Dua, Padma, Dynasty and Kumala Pantai. Of the five, I felt the Novotel was the best in terms of quality, size of room/suite, and amenities. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment there, but it was on the ground floor so it was more like a villa. It had it's own private courtyard, lounges, and pool; plus fully airconditioned indoors, kitchen and a washer/dryer. The kids used the private pool sometimes, but mainly swam in the main pool, and they used the kids club daily. Nusa Dua was a nice change from the in-your-face hustle and bustle of Tuban, Kuta, Legian, Seminyak. I found Sanur lovely but got annoyed with all the pushiness along the beachwalk. Nusa Dua definitely had none of that.

You can rent private apartments within the Novotel (via Flipkey) as well as booking directly through the Novotel.

Australia
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Bali with kids - resort or villa?

I so agree that resorts are more suited to children. We have been twice and stayed once in a pool villa and once in a resort. It was so much easier and kid friendly at the resort. So much for the kids to do. I asked my oldest boy who is 5 if we return next year which would he like and he said he wanted a resort. Its also easier to just walk out the eat and shop so resort wins hands down for me. Kellie

Western Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Bali with kids - resort or villa?

If you actually want to spend time with your kids villas rule hands down. How can you beat a full maid service cooking all meals, cleaning and doing all your laundry? We have stayed at multiple villas in the seminyak area and use kids clubs such as cubby house when we all need a break from each other. Go for a fully serviced villa with enclosed living area eg villa wilsana.

Australia
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Bali with kids - resort or villa?

I actually spend all my time in Bali with my kids. I have never used a kids club or nanny not that I disagree with them but I just have chose not too. My opinion still is a resort is more fun for them as there is alot more for them to do. Our resort had a playground, pool, little ones could feed the fish, huge grounds to have a run around in, a kids club if needed etc. Kellie

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Bali with kids - resort or villa?

Thanks for the feedback.

As much as I love my kids, I want to get a break from them! It is our 10th wedding anniversary and a celebration for my Husband's 40th. I wish we could leave them here & have an adults only holiday... Oh well, in another lifetime.

Was thinking of splitting the two weeks up, one week staying in Sanur or Nusa Dua and a week staying near Kuta/Legian/Seminyak. Any suggestions on where to stay? I want to avoid the bogan factor as much as possible, although I know it is everywhere in Bali.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,743 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Bali with kids - resort or villa?

Our family with young children will be staying at a villa within the Novotel Nusa Dua hotel and then at Rumah at Tanjung Benoa - best of both worlds - company for the children when needed when but with far more space and amenities than a hotel room offers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Bali with kids - resort or villa?

our kids are 5 and 3 and are we are venturing back to bali for the 5th year in a row. I guess it's personal preference but after trial and error we opt for smallish hotels with kids. Must have a kiddie pool (which most villas don't offer) and room not too far away from the pool/s. We tried 1 week at a resort in Nusa Dua last year and didn't enjoy trekking 10mins from the room to the pool. As our kids are still quite young and don't have the endurance for walking too far or waiting too long we find a hotel which is close to everything a pre-requisite. We like Legian, on the beachfront, lots of great food options both at the front and back (beachfront) of the hotel. We have stayed at Jayakarta, Kumala Pantai, Puri Raja and prefer these 3 star hotels in a great location over the fancier hotel in the middle of nowhere. We are back to Kumala Pantai in August.