We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I trust reviews

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Can I trust reviews

Just wondering what others think. I was recently scammed through a villa I found on flipkey so am a bit nervous about renting another one but have found one that looks pretty good. It only has 2 reviews both very glowing reports and both said 5 star and couldn't fault it but both people this was their only post ever on TA and both posted and stayed last month. Does this seem suspicious or I being overly cautious.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
98 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I trust reviews

Haven't ever booked through flipkey... but if you can't find more reviews why risk it? So many villas in Bali go for something else.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,823 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I trust reviews

If the reviewers don't have an established history of either posting on forums, or doing reviews for multiple establishments in multiple destinations, or both, then I think that your caution is healthy, especially if both are glowing without any criticism whatsoever.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I trust reviews

Hi Borneohound, if curious about a villa post the name of it and the URL you are using to view it's details.

That way you are likely to get some feedback here if there is any available.

Also others may look at the sites and offer some appraisals for you that are relative to their own experiences, even if they do not know that individual villa personally

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I trust reviews

I don't think you're being overly cautious at all.

I'd research deeper about the villa to see if you an find anything else about it. Or consider looking elsewhere.

Hurcules has a good suggestion, you could just post the name of the villa and the link and someone here may know more...

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I trust reviews

Thanks for your advise everyone.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I trust reviews

I'm with Noodles & Hurc .Look at their posting history & post the name of the villa on TA.

Cheers Mac

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I trust reviews

If I was on your place I wouldn't trust. I personally trust reviews only with long history and memberships.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I trust reviews

I only trust posters with more than double digit contributions and of course the DE's. Post the name and link of the hotel and i'm sure all your doubt would be cleared.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I trust reviews

Sorry I've tried to share the link but no luck.

It's called the Villa ShaTo any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Perth
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I trust reviews

We are looking at booking this Villa also, I did find two other comments on Frommers website. I am a bit concerned also. Not sure what to do. We have booked it and need to pay the deposit. Jewellz