We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussie travelers - Commonwealth travel cards

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Aussie travelers - Commonwealth travel cards

This is my first trip to Bali so not familiar with the best forms of currency to use. My question is that I have a Commonwealth travel card with US dollars and was hoping to use this in Bali. Wondering if anyone has done the same and will I have any issues converting US dollars to Ind Rupiahs at ATM or foreign exchange? Like to hear any stories - good or bad please?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
512 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussie travelers - Commonwealth travel cards

Hi, you won't have a problem at the ATM with the cash card, just make sure you take it out as the money comes out first of most ATMs and you can quite easily forget your card. The down side to the card is you will have a per transaction withdrawal fee, plus a conversion fee (I may be wrong on that, I have used another brand of cash card in the past in Bali) and there is a max withdrawal at the ATM, I think is about 1million RP ( I may also be wrong in this too, it's been about 5 years since I used an ATM in Bali!!)

I take cash with me now, it's easier and I'm not limited to how much I can change or take out at one time. If you already have the card with US on it, by all means, use it, but cash is safe to take too.

I hope this helps :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussie travelers - Commonwealth travel cards

Thanks Frillylilly - sounds like anything goes, which is good. I appreciate your feedback.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussie travelers - Commonwealth travel cards

If you want card access, cheapest is to take comm bank debit card- flat $2 fee and Cba atm's all over Bali. Cheaper than using your tmc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussie travelers - Commonwealth travel cards

Hi there, issue is, I already have money sitting on it from my last trip to USA. As i dont plan to visit again anytime soon, I wanted to use this money. Just making sure I can!

Thanks for the feedback.

Tannum Sands...
Level Contributor
135 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussie travelers - Commonwealth travel cards

Yes you can use CBA Travel Money card in Bali.

There is only USD 2.50 cash withdrawal fee and you can use it at any ATM, not just CBA.

You can also use for purchases or dinners etc where they accept mastercard

Hope this helps

Carol

Edited: 21 January 2013, 04:06
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussie travelers - Commonwealth travel cards

Thanks Carol, its exactly what I wanted to hear!

Many thanks for the peace of mind.

Perth
Level Contributor
637 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussie travelers - Commonwealth travel cards

Cash is king in Bali and you'll get good exchange rates at reputable dealers. Exchange money where the teller is behind a glass window, as you would see in Australia, and/or there is a securiity guard present.

I find the Aussie Dollar is more stable than the USD so there's no need to exchange money twice to get good rates on rupiahs.

Edited: 21 January 2013, 05:23
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussie travelers - Commonwealth travel cards

You should look into two genuine fee free cards and that is Citibank Plus visa or 28 degree master card.

Be careful of Commonwealth travel card..commonwealth Bank says over the phone there are no fees to exchange aud to usd except a flat 15 dollar fee. What they don't tell you is that they charge a conversion fee of around 4%, even when you go to the front desk they say nothing about the extra fees, they seem to try and do this secretly.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aussie travelers - Commonwealth travel cards

Yes, for Bali the CBA TravelMoney cards are a rip off.

I bank with CBA, so I go a month or so before I travel, open up a new account specifically for my trip.

That way I can use Net Bank to transfer money into my "bali card" which keeps my savings safe just in case of card skimming/scams etc.

Then I just close that account when I come home.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aussie travelers - Commonwealth travel cards

What a great idea! Good feedback for any traveller really, the banks rip you off everyway you turn these days!

thanks for the feedback.