We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

balinese festivals - galungan/manis galungan

singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
balinese festivals - galungan/manis galungan

Hi..I am in staying in Seminyak from March 27-29 and wanted to experience the Galungan festival celebrations. What would be the closest temples and villages to visit to see the locals celebrate this holiday? Thanks in advance!

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: balinese festivals - galungan/manis galungan

On Galungang every temple in every village will be dressed up with white and yellow cloth wrapped around their individual shrines and every balinese family will visit every temple to which the family is affiliated, and present offerings to each. Outside each Balinese family compound a penjor (decorated bamboo pole) is hoisted as a visual reminder of the presence of gods and ancestors.

So what I'm trying to say in a long-winded way is that signs of the Galungang festival will be everywhere and at each of the village temples - you won't have to look very hard to see the beauty of the people in their ceremonial dress carrying offerings to temple. And if you're lucky you may see the Barong being paraded in the streets to eject evil influences.

You are very lucky to be visiting at this special time.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
807 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: balinese festivals - galungan/manis galungan

I was just researching about this holiday. We are in Legian from 27-30 march. Will everything shut down on the 27th?

I am hoping we get to see a barons being performed!!

Warrnambool
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: balinese festivals - galungan/manis galungan

I have been in Bali twice for Galungan. The first time we were in Ubud and it was very special. The second time we were in Sanur and there was hardly any sign of the festival. Get out and visit small villages in the days around Galungan to really see the festivities. On the day many shops shut but many reopen in the afternoon, depending on where you're staying. The day after is a bit like Boxing Day here. Families get together for picnics at the beach or the botanic gardens. It's a wonderful time to be in Bali.

4. Re: balinese festivals - galungan/manis galungan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2014, 13:47
5. Re: balinese festivals - galungan/manis galungan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 04:15